Outgoing Exchange Students


Are you considering an exchange term abroad during your undergraduate studies?  It’s never too early to start planning! 

We will be holding our annual Engineering Exchange Information Session specifically for McGill Engineering students who wish to participate in the Student Exchange Program during the 2017-2018 Academic Year. 

International Education Week: Engineering Outgoing Exchange Information Session!

Date/Time:  November 9th 2016 at 11:30am

Room: McConnell 13

Did you miss the information session? Please review the following presentation and review the information on this website carefully:

Exchange Information Session Presentation (pdf)

Application period for Fall 2017 and Winter 2018 exchange terms: November 14, 2016 – January 15, 2017

Various faculties, departments and units across the university will be promoting international opportunities for undergraduate students over the course of the week. 
Please refer to the International Education website for details and event schedules.

Exchange Preparation video.

Applying for an Exchange in 5 Simple Steps



To be eligible to participate, you must:

  • be currently registered as a full-time, degree-seeking McGill student
  • have a minimum CGPA 3.0 *
  • meet your Faculty’s participation criteria
  • have completed at least one year of full-time study by the start of your term abroad (Year 0 students are not eligible.)

*If your CGPA is under 3.0 and you have extenuating circumstances explaining why, please contact your faculty advisor to determine if you may be eligible to apply.

You can participate in an exchange for one or two terms.

The best time to participate in an exchange program is in the year before your graduating year.


  • Review the full list of schools on the exchange website – note you can only chose schools that are coded as “General” or “Engineering”; it is important to do thorough research on the schools you are considering in terms of Accreditation Units (AU), programs/courses offered and language of study.
  • Review our list with commonly selected partner institutions by Engineering students here.
  • Not all schools listed under “General” or “Engineering” offer the courses you need and may not meet our Accreditation requirement and therefore you may be required to take additional courses to satisfy the accreditation board requirements requirements of the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB).
  • It is VERY important to do some personal research on the different schools.
    • Attend our information session in November
    • Talk to your departmental advisors to determine the term which works best for your curriculum.
    • Review Student Experience Reports available at the Engineering Student Centre (MESC)
    • Review previously approved courses – list is available on the Equivalency database and at (MESC) – note that you will still need to get your courses officially approved via the transfer credit form AFTER you have accepted the nomination – see below important dates and deadlines
    • Determine the language of instruction at the Host University


For each term you are on exchange you will be paying 15 McGill credits; regardless of how many courses you take.

To offset some study abroad costs, you may be eligible for financial assistance:

  • Students are eligible to apply for government student assistance.
  • Students may also apply to the Scholarships and Student Aid Office for further assistance.
  • Holders of renewable scholarships and awards may retain their awards. Renewal of entrance awards will be contingent on performance at the Host Institution.

Awards and Scholarships:


Application Period for 2016/2017: You may apply through MINERVA starting on November 6, 2015 - January 15, 2016 (Deadline)

You can only submit one application which can include 4 University choices – there is a $150 non-refundable fee that will be charged to your student account

Application: It is VERY important to do some personal research on the different schools.
  1. Fill out the application form on Minerva (Student Menu àStudent Records Menu àExchange Study Away Menu àRequest for Exchange)
  2. Select up to for 4 host institutions (Important: Do research on their programs and courses to make sure the selected universities are a good fit for you!)
  3. Add a tentative course selection.  (Make sure the courses that you need to progress in your curriculum are offered in the term you would like to study abroad)

Decisions: There are 3 levels of decisions that will be made on MINERVA.

  1. The departmental level will review your school choices and proposed course list to assess if your choices are suitable – their decisions are made before February.
  2. The Faculty level will provide a second review to confirm the department’s decision in allowing you to participate in an exchange - decisions are made before February -The department and faculty are only approving the concept of you studying abroad- we do not approve which school nor term you will be selected for.
  3. FINAL APPROVAL AND NOMINATIONS: The Exchange office/Service Point will start the process of nominating students to a specific school destination and term – decisions will be sent from the exchange office in February through to April.

It is important to note that if you do not get nominated to any of your choices, you will be sent an alternative choice.

Accepting/declining nominations: The exchange office will usually allow for a week for students to make a final decision on their offer of nomination.

Following your decision you will be sent communication and instructions via email and also listed in the comments section on MINERVA.  The Exchange office will email students with the host application instructions- for a student going away in Fall or full year will get an email anywhere between March and July. For those going for only Winter will hear from them between July and October.  Please make sure to check your emails regularly.

Any questions you have about the Host application (please contact the exchange office/ Service Point) studentexchanges [at] mcgill [dot] ca

Service Point
3415 McTavish St. (corner Sherbrooke)
Montreal, Quebec | H3A 0C8
Tel.: 514-398-7878
Exchange drop-in hours at Service Point: Mon-Fri 2:30-4:00pm – Desk # E


Once you have accepted your nomination it is important to follow these guidelines:

  • Apply to Host University – instructions will be sent to your McGill email address – any questions about Host application, language proficiency, visa’s, housing or additional required documents are to be asked at International Education Service Point 3415 McTavish St.
  • Attend our Engineering Faculty Specific pre-departure session Departure Information Session Presentation
  • Attend the International Education Departure Information session and find more information about events and info sessions on the International Education website.
  • Review Student Experience reports at MESC again for some tips about your exchange destination/institution.
  • Review the Safety Abroad website and FAQ.
  • Simultaneously while you are applying to the Host University you will be required to print all the course descriptions and/or syllabi, including class schedule of the courses you would like to take and meet with your departmental advisor and fill out the Exchange/Study Away Transfer Credits form due to the Faculty (MESC) 2-3 months prior to you leaving for exchange.
  • Once your department has reviewed and approved your courses you are expected to hand in the form with the detailed outline descriptions to the Engineering Student Centre FDA 22 (2-3 months prior to when you leave) – the Faculty will review and finalize the course approval.
  • Keep in mind that you will be paying 15 McGill credits for your term abroad no matter how many transfer credits you are granted – please see funding opportunities.

The Faculty of Engineering will review all courses for final approval.

Please submit the completed forms to:
Engineering Student Centre Frank Dawson Adams Bldg., Room 22.

If any of you are interested in sharing your email with other students please email us at exchange [dot] engineering [at] mcgill [dot] ca so we can get you in contact with other students that are going to the same university as you! 


  • A list of previously approved courses is available for review at MESC and in the Course Equivalency System. There are a lot of other courses offered at the partner universities. If a course that you are planning on taking is not on the list or in the system you may just be the first student requesting to have this course evaluated.)
  • Please only submit equivalency requests for non-Engineering courses through this system. Until further notice, the Course Equivalency System is not yet to be used for Engineering courses. We are currently waiting for some updates to the system that will allow us to assess the equivalencies for Engineering courses properly. Until then, please see your departmental advisor for evaluation and approval of all Engineering courses.
  • If courses have been evaluated and approved in the past you will still need to meet with your departmental/school advisor to review and approve your final course selection. Important note: Some departments may have course restrictions and may not allow you to take certain courses on exchange!)
  • Departmental Contacts for course approvals can be found here.


Transfer Credit Approval Process:

  1. All students participating in a Student Exchange program must complete an "Request for Transfer Credit form - Exchange/Study Away" form at least 2-3 months prior to the exchange.
  2. Students must meet with their departmental advisor to have their courses officially evaluated and approved for transfer credit. Please provide detailed course descriptions and/or syllabi, including class schedule (detailed information about the number of lecture, laboratory and tutorial hours).
  3. Depending on the course type, students may have to seek approval from several individuals:
    • Departmental required courses, technical complementary courses – Departmental Advisor;
    • Non-departmental required courses (Engineering courses) - Departmental Advisor in the respective Engineering department
    • Non-departmental required courses (non-Engineering courses) – Request course evaluation through Course Equivalency System
    • General complementary courses – Request course evaluation through Course Equivalency System
    • Minor Courses – Respective department (i.e. Management, Economics etc.) and/or minor advisor. For non-Engineering courses, please request course evaluation through Course Equivalency System
    • Important information for ECSE students only: Core courses, courses that are a mandatory part of the curriculum, must be taken at McGill. Please discuss with your departmental advisor if you have any questions.
    • Important information for Chemical Engineering students only: Please submit your Transfer Credit Request form to MESC (FDA 22) for departmental evaluation/approval of all CHEE courses.
  4. Students have to calculate accreditation units for courses they are planning on taking during their exchange term. The Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) has strict requirements. All Engineering students in Canada have to complete a certain amount of hours of Engineering courses at McGill. Students must complete a minimum of 225 AU of Engineering Design (ED) and a minimum of 600 hours of Engineering Design AU + Engineering Science at McGill.

    Accreditation Unit (AU) Calculation Formula:
    AU = [# lecture hours × # semester weeks]+ [(# lab+tutorial hours ÷2 ) × # semester weeks]

    • Start looking at exchange courses and their AU count early!
    • a general guideline only:
      • Many departmental courses are approximately 45.5 – 52 AU (for some courses even higher!)
      • Technical Complementary courses are 39 AU
      • Complementary Studies (Impact & HSSML) are 39 AU
  5. Please submit the completed forms and supporting documents to: Engineering Student Centre Frank Dawson Adams Bldg., Room 22
  6. The Faculty of Engineering will review all courses for final approval. You will receive a copy of the form via email.

Transfer Credit Policy:

  • If you are completing a B.Eng. or B.S.E. degree, half of your program must be completed at McGill. The number of transfer credits granted can therefore not exceed 50% of the total credits for your program. Note that the total credits for your program includes those associated with the Required Year 0 (Freshman) courses.
  • If you are completing the B.Sc.(Arch.) degree, the number of transfer credits granted will be limited to ensure that you complete a minimum of 60 credits of courses at McGill taken to satisfy your degree requirements, excluding those taken to satisfy the Required Year 0 (Freshman) courses listed in your program.
  • Transfer students who have received a number of transfer credits for Engineering courses already, may be required to take an extra course at McGill.
  • Minor courses: Up to 6 credits of courses taken toward a minor can be taken outside McGill, provided that the course is being used only toward the minor or is being used toward both the minor and the Complementary Studies / Elective requirement.
  • Exchange courses are not pass/fail but rather credit/non-credit. All courses taken at the host institution will be reflected on the McGill transcript including failed courses.
  • Once we receive and review official transcripts from your host institution, the appropriate McGill transfer credits can be viewed on your unofficial transcript in Minerva.
  • Students who participate in a formal university exchange shall be eligible to transfer earned credits back to McGill if the grade earned for each course is a C (55%) or higher. The policy shall apply to both elective and required courses. For more detail please contact the exchange [dot] engineering [at] mcgill [dot] ca (McGill Engineering Student Centre) (FDA 22).
  • When in doubt as to whether your grades are eligible for transfer credit, please contact MESC. Do not rely on the minimum passing grade at the host institution.


  • Make sure you filled out the Travel Registry Form on Minerva. You are required to complete a Travel Registry form for all university-related travel activities. Some activities within Canada, such as internships, may also require that you complete a Travel Registry form. If a Travel Registry form is created for you it can be found in Minerva under the Student Records Menu. When the form is ready for you to complete, you will receive a notice by email linking you directly to the form. Please find more information here.
  • Register for courses at McGill for the next term.
  • Submit the Experience Report to exchange [dot] engineering [at] mcgill [dot] ca.  Details and instructions to follow via email.
  • Ensure with your Host University that they have sent an official copy of your transcript to the Exchange office/ Service Point.
  • Did you take some pictures during your exchange term? Show us what you’ve done and where you’ve been! Enter the McGill Engineering Photo Contest and share your pictures for the chance to win great prizes. Please find more information here.


WARNING: Some information on the presentations and/or PDF documents may be outdated – please always consult with an advisor when deciding on studying abroad.

Follow us