The University encourages students to study abroad as part of their McGill degree program by defraying part of the cost of eligible study abroad activities. We recognize that the additional costs of going on an exchange may be difficult for some students to assume on their own. Thanks to the Quebec government’s Programme de mobilité international et de courts séjours à l’extérieur du Québec (PMICSE), McGill is able to help defray these costs for students who otherwise could not afford to participate.
The Scholarships and Student Aid Office administers the Mobility Bursary for Exchanges Program. The application is available to any undergraduate student approved for an eligible exchange semester abroad. Eligible exchanges are where a McGill student studies at one of our partner universities while earning credit at and paying tuition to McGill. Priority is given to students who rely on government student aid, and/or Indigenous Band funding, and/or are recipients of aid from McGill’s own Bursary & Loan Program as part of their core funding. Due to the high cost of travel, the previous receipt of aid is not the only factor in demonstrating financial need.
To help students plan their exchanges as early as possible, the Mobility Bursary for Exchanges application will be available in Minerva from March 1 to March 31, 2021. Decisions will be posted by April 30th, 2021.
The Mobility Bursary for Exchanges is primarily for undergraduate students who:
- are approved for an exchange semester(s) abroad (where you study at one of McGill’s partner universities while earning credits and paying tuition to McGill)
- demonstrate financial need according to the guidelines
Due to the high costs of travel, receipt of government aid is not the only factor in demonstrating financial need.
The value of the award depends on various factors, including:
- Number of approved applications, level of funding available and the relative financial need of each applicant.
- Location of the study abroad program
- Duration of the study abroad program
- Students who are granted a bursary can expect a value between $750 and $1500 per month of exchange. Unfortunately, some applicants may not receive a bursary due to limited funding.
How to apply
Students can apply on Minerva:
- Go to the Financial Aid/Awards tab
- Select the Financial Aid Menu
- Select Apply for McGill Financial Aid and
- Click Apply next to the Mobility for Exchanges Financial Aid
- Click Update your Financial Aid Profile
- Submit your application
You do not need to book an appointment with a Student Aid Counsellor. Your application will be assessed online, so it is essential to clearly and accurately include all relevant information.
When to apply
Be prepared to apply within the application's open and close dates indicated below.
Late applications will not be accepted (no exceptions!).
|Approved exchange term:||Bursary Applications open:||Bursary Applications close:||Results (on Minerva) by:|
Fall 2021 and
Full year (Fall 2021 & Winter 2022)
March 1, 2021*
March 31, 2021
|Winter 2022||August 19, 2021||September 22, 2021||October 15, 2021|
*Note: Students from the Faculty of Law who are participating in the Winter exchange may apply during March.
The Mobility Bursary for Exchanges will be credited to your student fee account.
The McGill Abroad website has more information on:
If you have questions about the Exchange Program you can email studentexchanges [at] mcgill.ca (Service Point).
For questions about the Mobility Bursary for Exchanges, email student.aid [at] mcgill.ca (Scholarships and Student Aid).