If you are a McGill student
If you are a McGill staff
On this page:
McGill Student Travel Registry is the official safety app for McGill students travelling outside of the Greater Montreal area on university-related travel activities. The app allows McGill to keep a record of your travel dates and study destinations and to reach students in case the situation in the location they are visiting changes. All students travelling on a university-related activity must register their travel through the app. You will receive alerts and check-in requests from McGill Abroad, via the app as well as your McGill email, in case the Government of Canada issues an “Avoid-Non-Essential Travel” or “Advise All Travel” advisory for your university-related travel destination.
Registering the details of your trip is a mandatory requirement for every student traveling outside the Greater Montreal Area on university-related activities. The Greater Montreal Area includes the communities within Montreal, Laval, Longueuil, The North Shore and South Shore. To register, you must know your McGill ID, travel dates, destination, host institution name and host-location contact person’s name, and personal emergency contact information.
You are required to fill out a separate travel registry for each trip that you take. If your university-related trip involves activities in more than one country, you must fill out a separate registration for each trip. If you are unable to use the McGill Student Travel Registry app due to technical reasons, contact McGill Abroad at safetyabroad [at] mcgill.ca with the details of your trip no later than 3 weeks before your departure.
University-related activities include:
- Curricular programs
- Credit or non-credit course work
- Exchange programs
- Field work
- Co-curricular activities (University-related internships)
For the McGill Student Travel Registry app, university-related activities include those where travel outside of the Greater Montreal area forms an essential part of the activity, whether or not the student is pursuing the activity for academic credit or recognition and whether or not the student receives University or third-party funding.
For more information, please review the “University-Related International Travel Activity by Students and University Staff Accompanying Them”.
Note: You are not required to register personal trips that take place before or after your dates of university-related travel. This registry is solely a requirement for university-related activities.
The McGill Student Travel Registry app provides a confidential registry of students abroad so that McGill Abroad can communicate with you through email and check-ins, as required. Additionally, it gives you access to safety tools and information beyond the registration of your travel, including:
- Live travel advice and advisories from the Government of Canada
- Alerts with Check-in Requests from McGill Abroad if the status of your host destination country or region changes to” Avoid Non-Essential Travel” or “Avoid All Travel”, as per the Government of Canada’s Travel Advice and Advisories
- 911 and International Emergency Services numbers
- 24hr McGill Campus Security
- Canadian Emergency Consular Assistance
- Sending an “I’m OK” message contact of your choice
- Emergency Guide
- Friend Walk: Share your live location with a friend so they can see that you have reached your destination.
- Share your live location with a friend via email