Establishing a Student Exchange Agreement (SEA)
A Student Exchange Agreement allows for the reciprocal exchange of students for the purpose of earning credit towards a degree and for periods of one semester to one academic year. Participating students pay tuition to their home institution while studying at the partner university. Student Exchange Agreements remain in force for a period of five (5) years and can be renewed.
We welcome the opportunity to expand our global footprint, and encourage support for numerous program initiatives designed to internationalize our education opportunities.
If you are interested in proposing a Student Exchange Agreement, please consider the following:
- Check the list of current Student Exchange Agreements by visiting the partner universities webpage.
- If there is no exchange agreement currently in place, please note that prospective partners are prioritized by the following criteria:
- Identification as an internationally recognized and accredited institution, whose academic programs align with McGill;
- Interest in the partner as demonstrated by McGill Faculties and students;
- Language compatibility (specifically course offerings in English or French);
- Potential to complement or further existing collaborations between the institutions;
- Safety and security of the partner’s location. Please note that McGill does not engage in student exchange programs in countries under high security and safety risk travel warnings, as defined in the Government of Canada’s Travel Advice and Advisories.
- If the above criteria are met, contact mcgillabroad [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Establishing%20a%20Student%20Exchange%20Agreement) (McGill Abroad) with the names and titles of the Faculty and Staff that will be collaborating to explore a possible agreement.
- If discussions are positive and move forward, partnership approval is then sought from McGill’s Academic Policy Committee (APC). Only once APC approves the partnership will a Student Exchange Agreement be negotiated with the partner by McGill Abroad, and the Faculty if applicable.