Emergencies and Crises Abroad

You attended Pre-Departure Orientation. You talked to your departmental advisor before leaving. You registered your travel. You crossed everything off your checklist. You were all set to leave.

Although you may be prepared to go abroad, things could happen that are beyond your control and sometimes they happen while you are away.

McGill is here to provide you with the resources and help you may need to get through emergencies and crises that may occur during your time abroad.

If you need to contact McGill in an emergency or crisis while abroad, call McGill Campus Security at +1-514-398-3000, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. International Toll-Free Emergency Numbers

You should also have these numbers on hand:
  • Telephone number for local police, ambulance, fire
  • Local emergency number (ie. 911 equivalent)
  • Emergency number at host partner institution
  • Canadian consular assistance number or your home country’s equivalent
​Emergency consular assistance
This service is only intended for Canadian citizens in need of emergency consular assistance while abroad.
  • send an email to sos [at] international.gc.ca 
  • make a collect call to +613-996-8885 (international toll-free numbers can be found here)
  • call the nearest embassy or consulate (list can be found here)
  • send a text to 613-209-1233 (carrier charges may apply)
When a crisis occurs and you are not in danger, you should remember to:
  • Contact your closest family members to confirm that you are not in danger and are safely in your place of residence.
  • Check your McGill email. McGillAbroad [at] mcgill.ca will reach out to you to check if you are safe and ask if you require any assistance. It is important that you respond immediately.
  • Remain vigilant of your surroundings at all times and follow the advice of local authorities.

All students should:

  • regularly check the Government of Canada's country travel reports for their host country at www.travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories
  • check if their local police force or municipal administration has a twitter account or other social media accounts that they can follow.
  • keep their travel documents in a convenient and accessible place.
  • stay connected with the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development's social media feeds and follow @TravelGoC on Twitter.
Back to top