Macdonald Engineering Building

The Macdonald Engineering Building is the Faculty of Engineering’s first home. Built in 1893 and consisting of two structures, donated by Sir William Macdonald and Thomas Workman, it housed the ever-growing Faculty (then named Applied Sciences). After a fire destroyed the building in 1907, the Macdonald Engineering Building is rebuilt in 1909 and remains the centre of the Departments of Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and the Dean’s Office. To read the complete history of the Macdonald Engineering Building, please visit the McGill Archives Site.


817 Sherbrooke St W, Montreal, Quebec, H3A 0C3.

See where the Macdonald Engineering Building is located on the McGill Interactive Map.

Porter contact information:
Phone number: 514-398-8402
Room: McConnell 18

Located in the Macdonald Engineering Building are:

Dean's Office

MD Room 382

Dean's office hallway



Civil Engineering

MD Room 495

Civil Engineering administration office

Mechanical Engineering

MD Room 270


Mechanical Engineering administration office entrance

Trottier Institute for Sustainability in Engineering and Design (TISED)

MD Room 270

Trottier Institute of Sustainability in Engineering and Design (TISED) Logo

Back to top