To be approved, a Work Study employer must:
- Be on the University campus, or in facilities owned, leased or rented by the University.
- Be flexible in order to accommodate students' academic schedules.
- Pay an hourly rate equivalent to or greater than the minimum wage under the current Collective Agreement.
- Not contravene any labour agreements.
- Have a Supervisor and a Payroll Person/Administrative Delegate who will share responsibility for:
- Create a Job Requisition in WorkDay linked to pre-established Job catalogues
- Initiate the job posting for referrals, preferably using MyFuture
- Interviewing and hiring Work Study students.
- Providing supervised employment in accordance with a pre-determined job description, which has been approved in WorkDay.
- Ensuring that the student is placed on payroll and that bi-weekly payroll reports are submitted, covering the actual hours worked in a given pay period.
Pay and working conditions
IMPORTANT: Work Study employees fall under the “McGill Casual Employee” job category. It is the responsibility of the employer to adhere to the appropriate Collective Agreement governing a McGill Casual Employee, especially regarding the minimum rates of pay.
Please contact your Human Resources Advisor for more information.
Work term dates
2021–2022 academic year
|FALL 202109||Max. weeks 18||September 5, 2021 to January 8, 2022|
|WINTER 202201||Max. weeks 16||January 9, 2022 to April 30, 2022|
|SUMMER 202205||Max. weeks 18||May 1, 2022 to September 3, 2022|
All work study jobs must fall within these dates.
Applying to Work Study
If you are new to the Work Study program and you meet these requirements, view the steps to submit an application. If you participated in the 2020-2021 Work Study program, you do not need to re-apply each new Academic Year. You can request your new Academic Year allocation for 2021-2022 within the Work Study Subsidy Management system for all your Work Study eligible positions combined. New employers who wish to participate in the Work Study program should refer to the Submit an Application section for the details.
For all questions regarding the Work Study Program, please contact the Work Study team.