Library assessment has as its primary objective the evaluation of the effectiveness of the Library's collections, services, and spaces in meeting the teaching, learning, and research needs of the university-affiliated users and outside researchers.
The Assessment Librarian can provide assistance with:
- External requests for survey responses
- Requests for data for departmental accreditation
- Individual or unit assessment projects
- Analysis of existing library data
- Preparation of reports on assessment projects
- Locating published evidence to support decision making and practice
The Assessment Librarian position is currently vacant. Please direct any queries to assessment.library [at] mcgill.ca.
The Library Assessment Advisory Committee, active since May 2013, advises the Assessment Librarian, library administration, and Library Council on the prioritization, planning, and implementation of assessment activities to support evidence-based practice, innovation, and research. Specifically, the Committee’s mandate is to:
- Make recommendations for the assessment of McGill Library’s collections, services, and facilities.
- Develop experience and expertise in areas of assessment, including performance assessment, usability/user experience, LibQUAL+ and other service quality surveys, outcomes assessment, measures and statistics, and a variety of methodologies.
- Provide support as needed for assessment activities conducted by the Assessment Librarian and other library staff.
- Communicate about assessment activities and findings to appropriate individuals and groups through a variety of channels, including the library assessment website.
- Foster a culture of assessment and promote assessment activities in the McGill Library.
- Submit an annual report to the Dean of Libraries.
- Library Assessment Advisory Committee Annual Report 2013-2014 (docx)
- library_assessment_advisory_committee_annual_report_fy15.docx (docx)
- Edward Bilodeau (August 2017)
- Robin Desmeules (August 2017)
- Sara Holder (August 2017)
- Amber Lannon (ex-officio)
- Andrea Miller-Nesbitt (August 2016)
- Rebecca Nicholson (August 2016)
- Merika Ramundo (ex-officio) (on leave)
- Robert Selby (August 2017)
- Deena Yanofsky (August 2016)