Graduate Students FAQs

Prospective Students

What is the difference between thesis and non-thesis MSc programs?

The MSc Dental Sciences - Thesis program is a research-based program which requires students to first get accepted by one of our academic researchers.
The MSc Dental Sciences - Non-Thesis aprogram is a curriculum-based program which does not require a supervisor.  This program has a start session of Fall ONLY.

What are the admission requirements for the thesis MSc and non-thesis MSc programs?

Requirements for MSc Dental Sciences – Thesis
Requirements for MSc Dental Sciences – Non-Thesis

Can I have more than one supervisor?

Yes, you can either have one supervisor, or a primary and a secondary supervisor.

What is the program duration and time limitation?

MSC Dental Sciences – Thesis and Non-Thesis: This is a two-year program, but an extension in the form of additional semesters can be granted.

What are the applications deadlines for all the graduate programs?

Application deadlines for MSc Dental Sciences – Thesis

Application deadlines for MSc Dental Sciences – Non-Thesis

How do I find a supervisor?

Please visit our Connecting with a Supervisor page for more information. 

How do I apply?

Graduate students must use uApply. Please visit our uApply-specific FAQ for more details on this service.

How to apply to MSc Dental Sciences – Thesis

How to apply to MSc Dental Sciences – Non-Thesis


Current Students

What documents do I need to submit to the Faculty at the start of my program?

For MSc Dental Sciences – Thesis:

What are the key dates for fall/winter/summer semesters?

All notifications pertaining to dates/registration is sent by the maria.palumbo2 [at] (Graduate Program Coordinator) via email. Please refer to our Important Dates page for more information. 

When are the add/drop deadlines for classes? 

Please visit our Key Dates page for more information.

Can I exclude a certain course from my GPA calculation?

Contact the maria.palumbo2 [at] (Graduate Program Coordinator) to discuss your situation. Decisions will be made on a case by case basis. 

What is the minimum grade I must maintain?

In graduate studies, any grade below a B- is a failing grade. Refer to the Failure Policy for Graduate Studies

How many total credits do I need to graduate?

For MSc Dental Sciences – Thesis and Non-Thesis: 45 credits are needed for graduation from either Master’s program. Please refer to the curriculum of the Thesis and Non-Thesis programs for more details.

How many classes should I take per term?

MSc Dental Sciences – Thesis: It is recommended to spread your required and complementary courses evenly throughout your first year of studies. Your second year will be spent working on your thesis and completing your Thesis Research credits. 

MSc Dental Sciences – Non-Thesis: Your course load should be of 12 credits per term for your first three terms, and 9 credits for your fourth and final term.

How do I select complementary courses?

You should discuss this with your supervisor(s) and the Graduate Program Coordinator. You may refer to the complementary list of courses (Thesis or Non-Thesis) or the eCalendar.

Is there a list of courses previously approved as complementary but not listed on the website?

There is no such list. Discussion with your supervisor and Graduate Program Director is advised.

Can I defer an exam?

Please visit our Deferred and Supplemental Exams page, and contact our maria.palumbo2 [at] (subject: Deferred%20or%20Supplemental%20Exam) (Graduate Program Coordinator).

How do I get a letter confirming my status at McGill?

First, go to Minerva to see if the letters available there are sufficient for your current needs. You can also go to this page to request a special letter.



What steps do I need to follow before I start my research?

Students are expected to finish their coursework within the first year of their studies. They should also be keeping in touch with their supervisor, as the steps to follow before starting their research can vary depending on their research, field and supervisor.

If my research involves animals or human subjects, how can I get ethical approvals?

Please visit Ethics and Compliance for general information, and the following pages for specific information such as regulations and training programs:

·       Animals

·       Human Participants

·       Environmental Health and Safety

·       Export Controls and Controlled Goods

·       Conflicts of Interest

·       Protected/Classified Information and Security Clearances

Can I do my research outside McGill?

Students can look for limited-time study opportunities at other universities. These opportunities should be discussed with their supervisor.


Scholarship and Financial Aid

What is the fee structure for MSc programs?

Please visit our Fee Calculator page. 

How do I access my e-bill and pay fees on-line?

Please visit our e-Billing page. 

If I want to become a TA, where can I find job postings?

Please visit our Dentistry Teaching Assistant Positions Available page.



Are there any programs available for incoming international students?

We recommend you browse International Student Services’ website for more information, particularly The Buddy Program

If I have a conflict with my supervisor, what should I do?

First, we recommend you visit the Graduate Supervision website to familiarize yourself with the roles and responsibilities of supervisors and supervisees. Should you have a conflict with your supervisor, you can discuss the situation with the simon.tran [at] (Graduate Program Director) and, if the situation still calls for it, the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies. 



Can graduate students attend classes of interest with the undergraduate dental students?

Please visit our GPS Registration page for more information. 

With which buildings do I need to be familiar?

What kind of student organizations can I join? 

As a graduate student, you are a member of McGill’s Prost-Graduate Students’ Society (PGSS). Please visit their website for information about your health plan and student activities. As a graduate dental student, you are also part of the McGill Dental Graduate Student Society. 

This is my first day in the faculty of dentistry, I just met my supervisor what should I do next?

Attend Graduate and Post-Graduate Studies’ Orientation. You will receive information about the Faculty of Dentistry’s Orientation by email from the maria.palumbo2 [at] (Graduate Program Coordinator).

How do I create a printout McGill letterhead for my personal contact?

No letterhead is given to students. Should you need a letter printed with McGill letterhead, please contact the maria.palumbo2 [at] (Graduate Program Coordinator). You can also order business cards.

What are my potential career paths after obtaining an MSc degree?  What do graduates do/have done once they graduated?

Please consult our Career Planning Services website for more information.

Is student housing available?

Yes, both on and off campus. Please visit our Student Housing page for more information. 

Can I take a leave of absence?

Please visit our Leave of Absence and Vacation Policy for more details. 


Thesis and Oral Defense

Where can I find general information and resources about thesis writing?

Please visit our Thesis page.

What are the general requirements for Master’s and Doctoral Theses?

Please visit our General Requirements page. 

How do I go about preparing my thesis?

Please visit our Preparation page.

How do I submit my thesis?

Thesis submission happens in two steps: the Initial Submission and Final Submission. You must also be familiar with the instructions to submit your final e-thesis on Minerva.

What is the process of Thesis Examination?

Please visit our Thesis Examination page.

Who can be a Thesis Examiner and what is the process to contact and nominate them?

Please visit our Thesis Examiners page. For more information about who can be an external examiner, please contact our maria.palumbo2 [at] (subject: External%20Examiner) (Graduate Program Coordinator)

What are the University’s regulations concerning Theses?

Please visit our Theses Regulations page. 

What is the deadline to submit my thesis?

Please visit our Deadlines page. 

How do I contact with my questions concerning my thesis?

Please contact our maria.palumbo2 [at] (subject: Thesis) (Graduate Program Coordinator).

Where can I find information about setting up my oral defence, scheduling my oral defence and the membership of my Oral Defence Committee?

Please visit our Oral Defence page and contact our maria.palumbo2 [at] (subject: Oral%20Defence) (Graduate Program Coordinator), who will be very instrumental in helping you through these steps. 

Where can I find information about oral defence proceedings?

Please visit our Oral Defence Proceedings page for an overview of the process, and make sure to download the GPS Oral Defence PDF document linked on that page. 

What are the possible outcomes of my oral defence?

Please visit our Oral Defence Outcomes page.


Follow us on:

Back to top