Many students and recent graduates have had extremely rewarding experiences setting up their own businesses. These ideas have ranged from offering private tutoring lessons, to companies which have successfully grown and launched their careers.
If you are one of those inspired, motivated business thinkers, CaPS offers many resources to get you started. We encourage you to thoroughly investigate your ideas as we want to ensure you are well informed of all the steps you need to take.
McGill Dobson Centre
The McGill Dobson Centre for Entrepreneurship is the hub of entrepreneurial activity at McGill University. Their mission is to develop and support McGill entrepreneurs stemming from all 10 faculties, as they seek to build innovative companies with a purpose. The Centre has more than 450 active startups that collectively have raised $1+ Billion and created more than 6,000 new jobs. For information about the entrepreneurship programs offered at the Dobson Centre: Programs
The McGill Dobson Bootcamp & Cup is designed for early-stage or early-traction startups that want to develop their business model, the art of the pitch and to further their understanding of business. Startups on this program also compete for seed funding. For more info: Bootcamp and Cup
Please note that CaPS and McGill do not endorse any particular websites/services; the listing is for your information only.
Entrepreneurship Programs and Services
For a list of startup programs or entrepreneurship events, consult the following websites:
For a list of external workshops, consultations and services to entrepreneurs, contact the following organizations:
- YES Montreal - YES offers support business coaching and workshops to entrepreneurs.
- Info Entrepreneurs - Information and services to Quebec entrepreneurs.
- Canadian Business Network - Government services for Canadian businesses.
Start-up Prizes and Competitions
These websites list start-up prizes and awards for student entrepreneurs.
- Dobson Centre Student Prizes and Awards
Consult the Centre and Dr. Michael Avedesian (Faculty of Engineering) who teaches Business Plan Development and Strategy courses.
- OSAS Start-up Prizes and Competitions
Consult this site for a list of entrepreneurship prizes and Eduardo Ganem Cuenca (Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences) to receive Innovation & Entrepreneurship News.
- Fondation Montréal Inc.
This site offers grants and personalized support services for young Montreal entrepreneurs.
The following resources provide startup events, jobs and companies.
- Montreal Startup Events - Evenbrite is a good site to find upcoming startup events in Montreal.
- Services for Entrepreneurs - A list of organizations offering assistance and funding to entrepreneurs.
- Startup Job Websites - A list of websites posting tech start-up jobs or company listings.
- Books for entrepreneurs (Available in the McGill Library)