Start a Business
Many students and recent graduates have had extremely rewarding experiences setting up their own businesses. These ideas have ranged from offering private tutoring lessons, to companies which have successfully grown and launched their careers.
If you are one of those inspired, motivated business thinkers, CaPS offers many resources to get you started. We encourage you to thoroughly investigate your ideas as we want to ensure you are well informed of all the steps you need to take.
McGill Dobson Centre
The McGill Dobson Centre for Entrepreneurship is a resource centre for those who are interested in entrepreneurship. The centre offers both education and support to student entrepreneurs, including the Dobson Cup Business Plan Competition. The McGill Dobson Cup is an annual opportunity for entrepreneurs to showcase their business ideas and not-for-profit start-ups.
For more information, visit the Centre during their drop-in hours:
McGill University’s Desautels Faculty of Management (Bronfman Building)
Dobson Centre for Entrepreneurial Studies
1001 Sherbrooke Street West, Room 649
Montreal, QC H3A-1G5
The Centre offers start-up kit for entrepreneurs.
For network opportunities in the entrepreneurial community of Montreal, and programs and events that will expose you to the various facets of new ventures, join the McGill Entrepreneurs' Society (MES).
- Dobson Centre - Programs and Courses - For both management and non-management students.
- Graduate Certificate in Entrepreneurship (School of Continuing Studies)
- Bachelor of Commerce - Concentration in Entrepreneurship (School of Continuing Studies)
Where to Start?
Tools and resources offering guidance on how to start your business, where to find financing programs and business centres and how to manage and grow your business.
Programs and Services in Montreal/Quebec
- YES Montreal - Entrepreneurship - Services, grants, workshops for individuals of all ages.
- SADC+CAE - Offers business start-up financing and consulting services.
- Portail Entrepreneuriat - Offers entrepreneurial training programs and tools.
- Réseau des carrefours jeunesse - Advisors to help young entrepreneurs.
- ACLDQ - Offers assistance to Quebec entrepreneurs.
- Greater Montréal Business Office - Offices that offer assistance to businesses in Greater Montreal.
Contests & Funding
- Québec Entrepreneurship Contest - Offers prizes and recognition to entrepreneurial projects.
- Fondation Montréal Inc. - Montreal's biggest entrepreneurship contest.
- BDC - Young Entrepreneur Award.
- Dobson Centre Student Prizes and Awards - Consulting the Dobson Centre and Dr. Michael Avedesian (Faculty of Engineering) who teaches Business Plan Development and Strategy courses.
- Fundica - An organization that helps businesses find funding opportunities.
- Canadian Business Network - Government Services for Entrepreneurs.
- Info Entrepreneurs - Quality strategic information for business community.
- Starting a Business in Quebec - Registration, income tax, hiring personnel guides.
- CEDEC - Provides networking events and webinars to budding entrepreneurs.
- Startup Websites - Links to startup events and resources.
- Recommended Websites - Organizations that offer assistance and funding to entrepreneurs.
- Books (Available at CaPS)
- E-Books & Books (Available in the McGill Library)