Jobs in Research
Obtaining hands-on research experience is imperative to many students to help determine if research is the appropriate career path for them. Resources available to you are:
Database: Research Opportunities Database
*This is not a job bank, but rather a list of professors who tend to hire science students on a volunteer, part-time or summer basis (paid or unpaid).
If you are a professor and would like to be included in this database, please send an email to linda [dot] cicuta [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Linda Cicuta).
- Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP)
Opportunities for full-time students to obtain hands-on work experience related to their field of study. Campaign runs in October.
- Research Affiliate Program (RAP)
Opportunities for full-time students to conduct innovative research and gain experience with federal organizations.
- Post-Secondary Co-Operative Education and Internship Program
Opportunities to get hands-on experience in their fields with federal organizations.
- Industrial Undergraduate Student Research Awards (NSERC - IUSRA)
16-week industrial research internship for undergraduate students.
- Post-Secondary Recruitment (PSR)
Hiring program for university graduates into a range 0f entry-level officer jobs within the federal government. Campaign runs in Sep-Oct.
- NRC Post-Secondary Programs
Employment programs with National Research Council Canada. Students get an opportunity to work on leading edge research projects and in turn contribute their energy and fresh ideas.
- Applied Student Research (ASR)
Research/applied learning opportunities and courses relating to sustainability.
- IRIC Next General Awards - Summer Internships
12 or 16-week summer internships in the field of cancer research at the Institute for Research in Immunology and Cancer (IRIC) of the Université de Montréal.
- RISE Programs (DAAD)
Reearch internships in Science and Engineering programs, for both undergraduate and graduate students.
- Science.gc.ca - Links to the job sites from Canadian governmental departments.
Job WebsitesJob websites that offer research opportunities.
- SOAR (Summer Opportunities and Research): Research opportunities for out-of-province students.
- McGill Digital Humanities: A Research Assistant-Faculty Matching Program that brings researchers and students together.
- CHU de Québec Research Centre: Research jobs for graduate students.
- EMJL: Positions advertised on the Experimental Medicine website.
- Mitacs: Research internship programs. Contact rreich [at] mitacs [dot] ca (Rebecca Reich) for more information.
- MUHC: Positions advertised on the Research Institute of the MUHC website.
- Pharmajob.ca: Jobs in clinical research, bio-analysis, etc.
- GoResearch: Connecting students to researchers.
- Canadian Research: Academic research positions in Canada.
- Science Careers: Science jobs, searchable by field of study and location.
- Science Jobs: Science jobs advertised on Craigslist sites.
- More Job Websites
Resources for Undergraduate Students in ScienceIf you are a Science student, consider the following programs from the Faculty of Science.
- Faculty of Science - Field Studies Programs
Field studies programs for students in Science programs.
- Faculty of Science - Internship Option
Internship opportunities for students in Science programs.
- Office for Undergraduate Research
Research opportunities across the Faculty for academic credit and as part of the NSERC undergraduate research program.
Health Network / Research Centres
If you are looking to gain some experience in health service or working in labs, consider to volunteer or visit the career page of the following health departments / clinics or research centers.
McGill Affiliated Hospitals, Research Centres and Network
- McGill Research and International Relations
A listing of McGill research centres, inter-university research centres, hospital research centres, networks of centres of excellence and research facilities (on-campus, off-campus, inter-institution)
- MUHC Research Profiles/Contacts: A list of researchers and their research interests.
Hospitals and Health Network
- McGill Affiliated Hospitals and Clinics: Links to MUHC departments and clinics.
- Santé Montréal Portal: Job opportunities and links to health clinics/network in Montreal.
- Canadian Health Coalition: List of organizations and research centres working on health care issues.
- Research Center Profiles: A global directory of research centers by category and location.
- Private Clinics: A list of private clinics by category and by major cities across Canada.
- Santé et services sociaux Québec: Links to public health directories in Quebec (In French).
- Quebec Health Portal: A database to find health organizations in Quebec (In French).
Life Sciences / Sciences
- BIOTECanada: Canadian life sciences and biotechnology database.
- Drug Development: Online global resource directory - contract services, drug delivery, etc.
- Contact Canada: Company listings in sectors such as medical technology, drug development and more.
- Canadian Science Research Centers: Listings of major Canadian research centres.
- Networks of Centres of Excellence of Canada: Research centres in health sciences, environment, etc.
- Research in Education: Listings of education related research centres worldwide.
- Research Facilities Navigator: Research facilities in engineering, environment, health, humanities, etc.
Alternative CareersLooking for alternative careers? Learn other career options from this website:
- What are the alternatives to R&D? (University of Oxford)
- Seeking the Alternative (Science Careers Blog)
- E-Books & Books (Available in the McGill Library)
Alternative Career - Patent Agent
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada: What is patent agent and how to become one.
- IP Courses: McGill Continuing Studies offers courses on patents, trademarks, and copyright.
- Canadian Intellectual Property Office: How to become a registered property office; past exams.
- Careers in Patent Law (Science Careers)