Obtaining hands-on research experience is imperative to many students to help determine if research is the appropriate career path for them.
Please note that CaPS and McGill do not endorse any particular websites/services; the listing is for your information only.
If you are looking for student work or internship programs, consult the following websites.
Student Research Initiative (SRI)
This McGill student group help undergraduate students secure research positions with faculty members. They also organize networking events to connect researchers and students. For more info: Upcoming events. For research funding: SRI awards
McGill Global Health Scholars
Opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to conduct global health research under the mentorship of a faculty member and receive a stipend. Deadline: AprilFor more opportunities:
If you are looking to gain some experience in health service or working in labs, consider volunteering or visiting the following health departments/clinics or research centers for opportunities.
- McGill Research and International Relations
McGill research centres, inter-university research centres, hospital research centres, networks of centres of excellence and research facilities (on-campus, off-campus, inter-institution).
- Canada - Research Facilities Navigator: A directory of research labs, hospitals and facilities.
- Canada - Networks of Centres of Excellence of Canada: A list of health and life sciences centres and networks.
- McGill Research Network: Find researchers by subjects.
- USA - Research Center Profiles: A directory of health related research centers in the USA.
- Montreal - Laboratories: A list of medical and diagnostic labs.
- Quebec - Quebec Health Portal: A list of health organizations in Quebec.
- Quebec - Private Clinics: A list of private clinics in Quebec.
Life Sciences / Sciences
- Biotech/Pharma R&D Groups: A list of academic research groups in Montreal area.
- Contact Canada: Industry databases in sectors - medical technology, drug development, life sciences, etc.
Job Search Websites
The following sites list health-related and research opportunities.
- Santé Montréal Portal: Job opportunities and links to health clinics/network in Montreal.
- CHUM Careers: Job opportunities with CHUM.
- Quebec Health Regions - Links to health and social services institutions. Visit each site's career section for job opportunities.
- CHU de Québec Research Centre: Research jobs for graduate students.
- CQ Jobs: Research associate opportunities.
Looking for alternative careers? consult the following website for career options:
- What are the alternatives to R&D? (University of Oxford)
- Seeking the alternative (Science Careers Blog)
- Science alternative careers books (Available in the McGill Library)
Alternative Career: Patent Agent
- How to become a Canadian Patent Agent - Information on becoming a patent/trademark agent.
- IP courses - Courses on patents, trademarks, and copyright.
Alternative Career: Science & Medical Writing
- How to become a medical editor (The Editors' Weekly)
- Ultimate guide to becoming a medical writer (AMWA)
- Science, Medical & Life Science Writing & Editing Organizations - Links to organizations recruiting students/graduates for science editing/writing opportunities.