Obtaining hands-on research experience is imperative to many students to help determine if research is the appropriate career path for them. Resources available to you are:
*Database: Research Opportunities Database
*This is not a job bank, but rather a list of professors who tend to hire science students on a volunteer, part-time or summer basis (paid or unpaid).
If you are a professor and would like to be included in this database, please contact linda [dot] cicuta [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Linda Cicuta).
Resources for Undergraduate Students in ScienceIf you are a Science student, consider the following programs from the Faculty of Science.
- Faculty of Science - Field Studies Programs
Field studies programs for students in Science programs.
- Faculty of Science - Internship Option
Internship opportunities for students in Science programs.
- Office for Undergraduate Research
Research opportunities across the Faculty for academic credit and as part of the NSERC undergraduate research program.
Student Work Programs
If you are looking for student work or internship programs, consult the following websites.
Health Network / Research Centres
If you are looking to gain some experience in health service or working in labs, consider volunteering or visiting the following health departments/clinics or research centers for opportunities.
- McGill Research and International Relations
McGill research centres, inter-university research centres, hospital research centres, networks of centres of excellence and research facilities (on-campus, off-campus, inter-institution).
Hospitals and Health Network
- MUHC Research Profiles/Contacts: A list of researchers and their research interests.
- MUHC Departments and Clinics: MUHC departments and clinics directory.
- Quebec - Quebec Health Portal: A database to find health organizations in Quebec.
- Quebec - Santé et services sociaux Québec: Links to public health directories in Quebec (In French).
- Canada - Canadian Health Coalition: Organizations and research centres working on health care issues.
- Canada - Private Clinics: A list of private clinics by category and by major cities.
- USA - Research Center Profiles: A directory of research centers.
Life Sciences / Sciences
- Contact Canada: Company listings in sectors such as medical technology, drug development and more.
- Drug Development: Online global resource directory - contract services, drug delivery, etc.
- Contract Research Map: A list of labs, searchable by location.
- Canadian Science Research Centers: Major Canadian research centres.
- Networks of Centres of Excellence of Canada: Research centres in health sciences, environment, etc.
- Research in Education: Education related research centres worldwide.
- Research Facilities Navigator: Research facilities in engineering, environment, health, humanities, etc.
- Research Centres: Research centres across Canada.
Job WebsitesJob websites that offer research opportunities.
- Santé Montréal Portal: Job opportunities and links to health clinics/network in Montreal.
- SUS - SOAR (Summer Opportunities and Research): Research opportunities for out-of-province students.
- McGill Digital Humanities: A matching program that brings researchers and students together.
- CHU de Québec Research Centre: Research jobs for graduate students.
- Experimental Medicine Job Listing: Full and part-time research positions.
- MUHC: Positions advertised on the Research Institute of the MUHC website.
- Meet R&D: Internships and jobs for graduate students.
- Pharmajob.ca: Jobs in clinical research, bio-analysis, and pharma-related areas.
- GoResearch: Research assisant/associate/analyst jobs across Canada.
- Canadian Research: Academic research positions in Canada.
- Science Careers: Science jobs, searchable by field of study and location.
- Science Jobs: Science jobs advertised on Craigslist sites.
- More Job Websites
Science AlternativesLooking for alternative careers? Learn other career options from this website:
- What are the alternatives to R&D? (University of Oxford)
- Seeking the Alternative (Science Careers Blog)
- E-Books & Books (Available in the McGill Library)
Alternative Career - Patent Agent
- Careers in Intellectual Property: Careers in patent agent and trademark agent.
- IP Courses: McGill Continuing Studies offers courses on patents, trademarks, and copyright.
- Canadian Intellectual Property Office: How to become a registered property office; sample exams.
- Careers in Patent Law (Science Careers) | Career in patent law (LSCDS)
- Medical Writing: Legitimate Work from Home Opportunity (ContactPoint)
- How to Become a Medical Editor (The Editors' Weekly)
For a list of organizations recruiting students or graduates for science editing/writing: