Obtaining hands-on research experience is imperative to many students to help determine if research is the appropriate career path for them.
Please note that CaPS and McGill do not endorse any particular websites/services; the listing is for your information only.
If you are looking for student work or internship programs, consult the following websites.
Student Research Initiative (SRI)
This McGill student group help undergraduate students secure research positions with faculty members. They also organize networking events to connect researchers and students. For more info: Upcoming events. For research funding: SRI awards
McGill Global Health Program
Opportunity for undergraduate students to conduct global health research under the mentorship of a faculty member and receive a stipend of up to $5,000. Deadline: February
Research Opportunities Database
This database provides listing of Research Assistant possibilities, includes information on supervisor, discipline, job functions and position time-frame. Students should use this list as a way to network with professors on possible research opportunities and confirm position availability and details with individual supervisors.
For more opportunities:
If you are looking to gain some experience in health service or working in labs, consider volunteering or visiting the following health departments/clinics or research centers for opportunities.
- McGill Research and International Relations
McGill research centres, inter-university research centres, hospital research centres, networks of centres of excellence and research facilities (on-campus, off-campus, inter-institution).
- Canada - Research Facilities Navigator: A directory of research labs, hospitals and facilities.
- McGill Research Network: Find researchers by subjects.
- McGill Experimental Medicine Contacts: A list of researchers and associates in medicine.
- MUHC Upcoming career fairs - A list of career fairs in health-related fields.
- McGill Academic Health Network - CIUSSS on on Montreal Island.
- Quebec - Quebec Health Portal: A list of health organizations in Quebec.
- Canada - Private Clinics: A list of private clinics, searchable by category and by major cities across Canada.
- USA - Research Center Profiles: A directory of health related research centers in the USA.
Life Sciences / Sciences
- Research Groups: A list of academic research groups in Montreal area.
- Contact Canada: Industry databases in sectors such as medical technology, drug development, life sciences, etc.
- Contract Research Map: A list of labs, searchable by location.
- Canadian Science Research Centers: Major Canadian research centres.
Job Search Websites
The following sites list health-related and research opportunities.
- Santé Montréal Portal: Job opportunities and links to health clinics/network in Montreal.
- CHUM Careers: Job opportunities with CHUM.
- Healthcarejob.ca: jobs in healthcare fields.
- CHU de Québec Research Centre: Research jobs for graduate students.
- GoResearch: Research assistant/associate/analyst jobs across Canada.
- Science Jobs: Science jobs across Canada.
Looking for alternative careers? consult the following website for career options:
- What are the alternatives to R&D? (University of Oxford)
- Seeking the alternative (Science Careers Blog)
- Science alternative careers books (Available in the McGill Library)
Alternative Career: Patent Agent
- Careers in intellectual property - How to become a patent/trademark agent.
- IP courses - Courses on patents, trademarks, and copyright.
Alternative Career: Science & Medical Writing
- Medical writing: Legitimate work from home opportunity (ContactPoint)
- How to become a medical editor (The Editors' Weekly)
- Science, Medical & Life Science Writing & Editing Organizations - Links to organizations recruiting students/graduates for science editing/writing opportunities.