Expand your horizons and open up new career opportunities by working abroad. It not only allows you to see another part of the world but can provide you with the cross-cultural experience employers are looking for in new employees.
Please note that CaPS and McGill do not endorse any particular websites/services; the listing is for your information only.
Work Abroad Jobs
The following tools provide useful articles as well as job opportunities and work abroad programs.
- Work and Travel Abroad with International Experience Canada
- For more job boards: Work Abroad Job Websites
International Teaching Opportunities
For a list of teaching opportunities, consult the following resources:
- GTF Grosvenor Teacher Fellowship Program (National Geographic Society)
The GTF program is a chance for educators to travel and teach abroad for 10 to 17 days. The program runs from April to October. Application opens every November.
- Teaching any subject in international schools (abroad or online): International Teaching
- Teaching French internationally (abroad or online): Teaching French as a Second Language (FSL)
If you are interested in working in the U.S., consult the following sites for visa information.
- Entering the U.S.
This site contains information for Canadians as well as a link to the Directory of Visa Categories. You may also contact the consulates if you have any questions regarding visas.
- J-1 VISA sponsor organizations (J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program)
A list of designated sponsor organizations for J-1 visa. J-1 visa was created by the U.S. government to offer students and young professionals the opportunity to work as an intern (paid or unpaid), or to participate in an educational and cultural program in the USA for a limited period of time. Students who apply for a J-1 through sponsor organizations should be prepared to pay a fee for a J-1 and allow a 6-week delay for processing.
- Recommended organizations for U.S. visa information and programs: Cultural Vistas and SWAP Working Holidays (for Canadians)
No preparation can completely prepare you for another culture, no matter how familiar it seems. Be ready to be flexible and willing to change your expectations.
Health & Safety
The following handouts offer information on safety and healthy travel tips.
- Top Ten Safe and Healthy Travel Tips
- Pre-Travel Clinic at McGill J.D. MacLean Centre for Tropical Diseases - Vaccination information.
- Travel Health Notices (Government of Canada) - Information on health risk and advice.
These sites provide Information and advice on situations that may affect travellers' safety and well-being. You can choose a country or destination and learn more about the security, entry and exit requirements, health conditions, local laws and culture, climate and other useful information.