Teaching English Around the World

Teaching English as a second language in a foreign country is an increasingly popular option as it is an accessible inexpensive way to travel, and the earnings can be quite good depending on the country. (South Korea, Japan and Taiwan are among the wealthier options). In many cases, schools also pay for travel and accommodations.

How to find a teaching job?

The most common way to find employment is to be hired through an agency or ESL (English as a second language) recruitment firm. In order to make the best choice, you are encouraged to investigate each company thoroughly and speak to ESL instructors in the field. If you tap into your network you may discover there are people close to you who have taught ESL abroad. They can share their experience with you, provide valuable advice and maybe even refer you to a school.

Teaching English Abroad book cover We recommend you reading the book Teaching English Abroad for preparation. The last edition is available at CaPS. Topics:

  • ESL training organizations
  • Strategies to find a teaching job
  • Preparation before departing to another country
  • A directory of recruitment companies

Please note that CaPS and McGill do not endorse any particular websites/services; the listing is for your information only.

Short-Term Teaching Jobs

Are you thinking to gain some teaching experience in summer? The option to teach English in short-term period is limited as most language schools look to hire full-time teachers for one year contracts. However, you can still find opportunities by working or volunteering in summer language camps.  For more information, read this article at International TEFL Academy: Can I teach English abroad in the summer?

ESL Teaching Job boards


Some countries require TESL certification or experience but many only require you to be a native English speaker and have post secondary education. TESL Certification programs vary according to length and cost. You can opt to take an intensive 4-6 week program locally or overseas, or pursue undergraduate or graduate studies in TESL.

Find a course

If you are looking for a TESL/TEFL/TESOL course, please consult the following resources:

Back to top