- All BSW courses are provided at the McGill University downtown campus only.
- No BSW courses are offered via distance or online education.
- Admission is only for the Fall Semester.
The Bachelor of Social Work is awarded upon successful completion of 90 credits of BSW Program approved courses taken, full-time, over three academic years.
- 63 credits from “required” social work courses (this includes Field Placement courses)
- It is possible to request an exemption from two required courses, SWRK 224 and SWRK 423
- 9 credits from “complementary social work” courses
- Complementary SWRK courses give students exposure to specialized areas of practice
- 12 credits from “Non-SWRK complementary” courses from the BSW Approved Disciplines for Non-SWRK Complementary Courses
- Of these credits, at least 6 credits from 300-level courses or higher or 9 credits from courses within the same discipline regardless of level
- Please refer to the BSW Approved Disciplines for Non-SWRK Complementary Courses list for more information.
- 6 credits from “elective” courses taken outside of social work from any academic faculty and any department.
- Students interested in pursuing graduate studies are strongly recommended to complete a statistics course as a Non-SWRK Complementary course or as an elective during their BSW or prior undergraduate studies.
- A maximum of 6 credits of elective courses taught through online education may be used towards the BSW program. See https://www.mcgill.ca/study/2018-2019/faculties/arts/undergraduate/ug_arts_course_reqs#booknode-67070
- Some courses from Continuing Studies do not count for credit as electives. See https://www.mcgill.ca/oasis/academic/courses/continuing-studies-courses
As per McGill University regulations, all BSW students (admitted from CEGEP, Transfer, Inter/Intra-Faculty Transfer, Mature) must complete a minimum of 60 credits at McGill University toward the fulfilment of the degree requirements. At least two-thirds of all program requirements must normally be completed at McGill. See: https://www.mcgill.ca/study/2019-2020/faculties/arts/undergraduate/ug_arts_residency_req
Exceeding 90 credit BSW program:
- Students are not permitted to exceed the 90 credits for the BSW
- Only with justification and the written approval of their academic advisor in the School of Social Work and the approval of the Associate Dean, Faculty of Arts can students exceed 90 credits.
- See https://www.mcgill.ca/oasis/academic/degree-planning/requirements
- See https://www.mcgill.ca/oasis/academic/degree-planning-guide