The School of Social Work aims to ensure that social workers are as diverse as the communities with which we work. First Nations, Inuit, and Métis, people with disabilities, racialized people, visible minorities, and ethnic minorities, gender non-conforming and LGBTQ+ people and women are strongly encouraged to apply. We invite applicants to share self-identifying information to be considered as one factor within the larger holistic review of the many excellent applicants to our BSW program.
CEGEP or College Students
- Students who have completed a Diploma of College Studies or Diplome d’etudes collegiales (DEC) from CEGEP, college, or equivalent studies from another province. Please click here for more information.
French Baccalaureate and International Baccalaureate Students
- Students who will have completed a French Baccalaureate. Please click here for more information.
- Students who will have completed an International Baccalaureate Diploma. Please click here for more information.
University Transfer Students (other universities or McGill graduates)
- Students who have completed or will complete at least one year of studies at another university, or who possess a completed degree with a minimum B average (3.0 CPGA).
- A maximum of 18 previously completed credits from other universities, with a grade of “C” or better”, are assessed individually for transfer at the point of admission. These credits may be transferred from a completed degree or an incomplete degree. Further details can be found here.
- A Quebec high school graduate who did not proceed to CEGEP but undertook one full year of university study outside Quebec may be admissible as a Transfer student (but will not receive transfer credits). If you fall into this category, you should consult the appropriate McGill University Admissions Office prior to applying, in order to ensure that you possess a valid basis for admission.
Inter/Intra-Faculty Transfer Students (McGill University)
- Students who transfer from other undergraduate programs at McGill University with a minimum B average (3.00 CGPA).
- Students in their freshman year (U0 of 4-year degree) must have completed a minimum of 24 credits by the end of the current winter term to be eligible to apply to transfer; the remaining 6 credits are to be completed in the first BSW term.
- For Inter/Intra-Faculty transfer students from McGill University, a maximum of 18 previously completed credits, with a grade of “C” or better”, are assessed individually for transfer at the point of admission. Credits completed in U0 are not eligible for transfer.
- Please visit the Transfers or Readmission page for more information.
- Students who do not possess a conventional basis of admissions such as a CEGEP diploma or university-level studies within the last five years that would constitute a basis for admission
- Canadian citizenship or Canadian permanent residency aged 23 years of age or older at the time of registration
- Applicants must have completed two prerequisite courses at the college or university level, each with a grade of B or higher. Complementary courses selected from the BSW Approved Disciplines qualify as prerequisites for admission for Mature students. Please see the BSW Approved Disciplines for Non-SWRK Complementary & Elective Courses. Note, social work courses, language courses, and online courses do not qualify as prerequisites for the basis for admission.
- Prerequisite courses must be completed by May 1st of the year of application and within the last 3 years.
- When admitted, Mature students cannot obtain transfer credits or advanced standing for the two prerequisite courses or any other courses completed prior to starting the Social Work program.
- Further details click here.