Public company or Private company?
- Hoover's Company Records
- Confirm the proper corporate name, is it public or private, a subsidiary etc.
- Marketline (Datamonitor)
Contains SWOT, competitors, market share, related industry reports.
- Passport GMID
Background, competitive environment, market share, outlook and more.
- Corporate Affiliations
- EMIS Intelligence (formerly known as ISI Emerging Markets)
Good for locating information on companies in emerging markets (e.g. Brazil, China, Mexico etc.).
- International Directory of Company Histories
Provides a detailed history of many U.S. and Canadian public companies and some private companies.
News, press releases & academic articles
- Mergent Online
International coverage, mostly public companies. Comprehensive financials and annual reports.
- ThomsonOne (contains Thomson Research Reports) -- Analyst reports. Note: Works only with Internet Explorer and if a page is not loading properly or you are having difficulty opening PDF files, go to Tools (Alt+X), Compatibility View Settings, and add “thomsonone.com” to websites viewed in compatibility view. This should fix the loading problems.
Public companies. Access company snapshots by clicking "Companies/Markets" tab, then "Company". Ratio comparison reports present key financial ratios against industry, sector and S&P 500.
Canadian public company filings, including annual reports, news releases, interim financial statements, MD&A filings. All Canadian public companies have to file electronically with SEDAR, beginning in 1997.
- Value Line Investment Survey
Covers mostly US stocks, some Canadian. Contains Timeliness, Safety, and Technical ranks, beta, forecasts for the coming 3 to 5 years, and analyst's commentary.
- Advertising Red Books
Domestic & international advertising agencies and advertisers, including ad budgets, sales, products advertised, and contact information.
Advertising expenditure by product category, parent company, subsidiary company, and brand for various media for the last 5 years.
- Advertising Resarch Subject Guide - McGill University
For additional advertising resarch help, please consult this research guide.
- Mergent Online
Use the tab D&B 20M to create a list of privately-held companies by country, industry etc.
- Canadian Business Resource
Directory of Canada's 2500 largest firms. Contains executive profiles and contact information (where possible).
- Registraire des enterprises du Québec
Information concerning the identity of associations and enterprises incorporated or in operation in Québec.
Free directory of over 30,000 Québec companies, and the products or services they offer.
- Industry Canada Company Directories (Gov of Canada)
Access Canadian Company Capabilities directory, Directory of Federally Incorporated Companies, Directory of Social/Volunteer Associations
Canadian industrial wholesalers, manufacturers, distributors, international companies that supply goods and services to the Canadian marketplace.
- Thomas Net - Thomas Register
ThomasNet is an American industrial search engine that provides access to finding the exact product, service, or supplier needed.
- Canadian Business Patterns- Number of Canadian establishments by city, NAICS and number of employees. See librarian for assistance in use.
- Canadian Key Business Directory
- Canadian Trade Index = Index commercial canadien.
- Financial Post Directory of Directors
- Financial Services Canada
- Fraser's Canadian Trade Directory
- National Services Directory = Répertoire national des entreprises de services.
- Regional directory = Répertoire régional
- Who's Who in Canadian Business