The Macdonald Campus Library is located in the Barton Building.
The Library’s services and collections support teaching, learning and research by staff and students in the Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, the School of Dietetics and Human Nutrition, the Bieler School of Environment, the Institute of Parasitology, three major research centres, the Morgan Arboretum and the Macdonald Farm.
The Library’s collections of over 100 000 volumes encompass a wide variety of electronic and print resources in agriculture, food and animal science, nutrition, the environment, ecology, plant science, and agricultural engineering.
Macdonald Campus of McGill University opened in 1907 to offer science degrees in Agriculture and Household Science, and a diploma in Education. Macdonald has been the main location for materials in agriculture and food science since then, although some aspects of the subjects are also collected in other McGill libraries. Agriculture is a highly interdisciplinary science which draws on biology, medicine, chemistry, soil science, various branches of engineering, climatology, food technology, the environmental sciences, economics, management and numerous other fields, resulting in a broad range of materials. A number of core books and journals available on the downtown campus are collected at Macdonald as well, but other items are located on one campus and shared. The entomology collection became a particular strength in 1965 when the special Lyman collection was added to the existing holdings.