Applicants to the Master of Science (MSc) or Master of Engineering (MEng) program must be the graduate of a recognized university and hold a Bachelor's degree equivalent to a McGill degree in Electrical, Computer or Software Engineering or a closely related field. An applicant holding a degree in another field of engineering or science will be considered but a qualifying year may be required to make up any deficiencies. The applicant must have a high academic achievement: a standing equivalent to a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.0 out of 4 or a GPA of 3.2 out of 4.0 for the last two full-time academic years (or equivalent).
Applicants to the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program, in addition to satisfying the admission requirements for the MSc or MEng program, must hold a suitable Master's degree from a recognized university. The applicant must have a high academic achievement: a standing equivalent to a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.0 out of 4.0.
Satisfaction of these general requirements does not guarantee admission. Admission to graduate studies is limited and acceptance is on a very competitive basis.
For more information on CGPA calculation please visit the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website on International Degree Equivalencies.
Proficiency in English
Applicants to graduate studies must demonstrate proficiency in English prior to admission, regardless of citizenship status or country of origin.
Normally, applicants who meet one of the following criteria are not required to submit proof of English proficiency:
- Mother tongue (language first learned and still used on a daily basis) is English.
- Has obtained (or is about to obtain) an undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized foreign institution where English is the language of instruction.
- Has obtained (or is about to obtain) an undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized institution in Canada or the United States of America (anglophone or francophone).
- Has lived and attended university, or been employed, for at least four consecutive years, in a country where English is the acknowledged primary language.
Applicants who do not meet one of the above criteria must provide proof of English proficiency by submitting one of the following test scores:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) minimum acceptable scores are:
- iBT (internet based test) - overall score of 100 (no less than 20 in each of the four component scores)
- PBT (paper based test) - 600
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) - overall band score of 7.0 or greater (no less than 6.0 in each of the four individual component scores).
- MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) - a mark of 85% or higher.
- University of Cambridge ESOL Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) - a grade of "B" (Good) or higher.
- University of Cambridge ESOL Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) - a grade of "C" (Pass) or higher.
- Edexcel London Test of English (Level 4) - with an overall grade of at least "Merit Pass".
- Edexcel London Test of English (Level 5) - with an overall grade of at least "Pass".
- McGill Certificate of Proficiency in English - Mininum grade of "A-" in advanced courses or McGill Certificate of Proficiency – English for Professional Communication: Certificate of Proficiency awarded - minimum grade of "A-" in advanced courses.
McGill accepts only electronic test scores. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that official test scores are sent directly from the testing service to McGill University (Institutional code: 0935) before the application deadline.
Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)
Submission of GRE (General Aptitude Test) scores is not mandatory. Applicants who have written the GRE are welcome to submit their scores for consideration.
McGill accepts only electronic test scores. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that official test scores are sent directly from the testing service to McGill University (Institutional code: 0935).