3674 Peel Street
Canada H3A 1W9
helge.dedek [at] mcgill.ca (Email)
Helge Dedek is interested and has published in the areas of (comparative and transnational) legal history, comparative law, private law, and legal theory.
He has presented his work as an invited speaker on numerous occasions, e.g. at the University of Toronto Legal Theory Workshop, the International Max Planck Research School for Comparative Legal History, the Harvard Stanford International Junior Faculty Workshop, the King’s College Institute for Transnational Law, the Institut Suisse de Droit Comparé, the European University Institute, Florence, the Olin Institute for Legal History, Stockholm, the Maastricht European Private Law Institute, and the Annual Conference of the Canadian Institute for the Administration of Justice.
Professor Dedek holds a doctoral degree from the University of Bonn, Germany, an LL.M. degree from Harvard Law School, and two German ‘State Examinations in Law.’
He is co-editor-in-chief of the American Journal of Comparative Law, together with Professor Franz Werro of the Georgetown University Law Center. He regularly teaches, as professeur associé, seminars at the University Lausanne in Switzerland. He has been an invited Fellow at the interdisciplinary Käte Hamburger Institute of Advanced Studies at the University of Bonn, Germany, and at the Max-Planck-Institute for Comparative and International Private Lawin Hamburg, Germany. He is an elected Associate Member of the International Academy of Comparative Law and a Fellow of the European Law Institute.
He is currently pursuing a SSHRC-funded research project on the intellectual history of the concept of individual rights.
- PhD in Law (summa cum laude), University of Bonn, Germany, 2006
- LLM, Harvard Law School, U.S.A., 2004
- Second State Examination in Law (13.02), Düsseldorf, Germany, 2000
- First State Examination in Law (14.46), Cologne, Germany, 1997
- Full Professor, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2021-
- Professeur associé (part-time appointment), University of Lausanne, Faculty of Law, Switzerland, 2018-
- Editor-in-chief of the American Journal of Comparative Law, 2014-
- Director of the Institute of Comparative Law, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2012-2016
- Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2012-2020
- Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2007-2012
- Boulton Fellow, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2006-2007
- Research and Teaching Fellow, Institute of Roman Law and Comparative Legal History, University of Bonn, 2005-2006
- Candidate Notary (“Notarassessor”), Rhenish Chamber of Notaries, Germany, 2004-2005
- Research and Teaching Fellow, Institute of Labour and Commercial Law, University of Cologne, 2001-2003
- Clerkship, Court of Appeal, Cologne, Germany, 1998-2000
Areas of Interest
Legal history, comparative law, legal theory, private law, legal education. Professor Dedek is always interested in supervising graduate work in these areas.