Full Professor - On leave
Sir William C. Macdonald Chair
3674 Peel Street
Canada H3A 1W9
fabien.gelinas [at] mcgill.ca (Email)
Website: Private Justice and the Rule of Law
Download: Academic CV and Publications (April 2020)
Professor Fabien Gélinas, Ad. E., teaches and conducts research in the areas of international dispute resolution, common law and civil law contracts, commercial law and legal theory. Formerly General Counsel of the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce and past president of the Arbitration Committee of ICC Canada and the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, he is a member of the Quebec Bar and acts as arbitrator, expert and consultant on dispute resolution and legal reform.
Professor Gélinas heads the Private Justice and the Rule of Law Research group and is a cofounder of the Montreal Cyberjustice Laboratory. He has taught at the Centre d’études diplomatiques et stratégiques de Paris (École des hautes études internationales), the Université de Paris II - Panthéon Assas, the National University of Rwanda in Butare, Trinity College Dublin, Sciences Po Paris, New York University and the National University of Singapore.
Professor Gélinas was awarded the Barreau du Québec's Advocatus Emeritus (Ad. E.) distinction in 2017. In February 2018, he was appointed to Canada's Chapter 19 (Trade Remedies) NAFTA Rosterfor a ten-year mandate. In April 2020, he received a McGill COVID-19 Rapid Response grant for his research project titled The Covid-19 Crisis: An Investment Law Perspective. In 2021, he received the Paul-André-Crépeau Medal, awarded by the Canadian Bar Association – Quebec Division to honour contributions to the advancement of international aspects of private and commercial law.
On June 11, 2021, Professor Gélinas received the David Thomson Award for Graduate Supervision and Teaching, presented to him during the Faculty of Law's Spring Convocation ceremonies. In July 2022, he was appointed Norton Rose Fulbright Faculty Scholar in Arbitration and Commercial Law for a fourth time.
- McGill University, Faculty of Law, Sir William C. Macdonald Chair (2016- )
- McGill University, Faculty of Law, Full Professor (2015- )
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce and ICC Canada, Arbitration Committee, president (2014- )
- McGill University, Faculty of Law, Norton Rose Fulbright Faculty Scholar in Arbitration and Commercial Law (2013–2016; 2018–2019; 2021-2022)
- McGill University, Faculty of Law, Associate Dean of Research (2007-2008)
- McGill University, Institute of Comparative Law, Director (2004-2007)
- McGill University, Faculty of Law, Associate Professor (2002-2015)
- eResolution, Vice-President (2000-2001)
- International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), General Counsel (1998-2000)
- ICC Commission on International Arbitration, Secretary (1998-2000)
- ICC International Court of Arbitration, Special Counsel and Director of Publications (1997-1998)
- Institut de droit comparé de Paris (Université de Paris II), Lecturer (1996-1997)
- Supreme Court of Canada, Law Clerk to Mr Justice Charles Doherty Gonthier (1989-1990)
- Centre d’études diplomatiques et stratégiques de Paris (École des hautes études internationales), ABD, (1996-1997)
- University of Oxford, D.Phil. (1995)
- Université de Montréal, LL.B., LL.M. (1988, 1991)
- International Institute of Human Rights, Strasbourg (1992)
- École du Barreau, Montréal (1990)
- Université de Poitiers (1989)
- Hague Academy of International Law, The Hague (1989)
- University of Ottawa, Department of Political Science (1983-1985)
Areas of Interest
International arbitration and civil procedure, international commercial contracts, cyberjustice, comparative law, international law, constitutional law and legal theory.