Exam conflicts and academic accommodation

Exam conflicts

Students may not make a course selection that produces an exam schedule conflict. A conflict is defined as two overlapping examinations, or three consecutive examinations in two days. It can also be caused by the observance of a holy day.

Students who find themselves with an exam conflict between a non-law and law course may be required to write the law examination in advance of the regular examination date, normally on the first available work day preceding the regular examination. Students will be asked to sign a Exam Confidentiality Agreement confirming that they will not discuss the examination with anyone until after the regular examination has been written.

To report an exam conflict, use the Examination conflict report form.

The deadlines to report an exam conflict are listed on the SAO's Key Dates and Deadlines page. These deadlines are approximately at the end of November for the Fall term and at the end of March for the Winter term. Students are responsible for checking the Key Dates and Deadlines page to ascertain the exact dates.

Students are advised not to make travel plans prior to the release of final examination schedules. Vacation plans do not constitute grounds for the deferral or re-scheduling of final exams.

Academic accommodation

Who can request academic accommodation?

Students experiencing an extraordinary personal situation or a temporary illness may request additional assistance and support in order to meet certain academic obligations. Students with temporary or permanent disabilities should seek support through the Student Accessibility and Achievement, formerly know as the Office for Students with Disabilities & Tutorial Services.

What is accommodation?

Academic accommodations may result in writing an exam at a different time than originally scheduled, additional time to submit a paper or assignment, or a reduction in course load/credit load. Find out more on our Academic accommodations and student support page.

How do you request academic accommodation?

There are academic regulations, policies and procedures in place in order to ensure that the process for consideration of academic accommodations is both fair and efficient.

  1. Request a meeting with an advisor

    Requests for academic accommodations must be directed to the Student Affairs Office rather than individual instructors. Requests must be made as soon as possible and prior to deadlines or examinations, by completing the relevant online form below:

  2. Prepare for your meeting
    Complete a degree audit before your meeting. Gather your supporting documentation, and prepare to discuss your academic performance, goals, involvement in extra-curricular activities and outside obligations.
  3. Meet with your advisor
    Discuss your circumstances with your advisor. Be open to possible options and solutions, such as alternate exam arrangements, short- or long-term extensions, and course reduction or credit load adjustment.
  4. Follow up
    Keep in touch with the SAO on progress and talk with your advisor if your circumstances change.
Back to top