SAO Forms

Course Selection
Majors and Minors
Honours Program
Essay Forms
Clerkships, Moots, Legal Clinic
Exchanges and feedback
Prizes and Scholarships
Attestation Letters

Feedback for the SAO?

Did you recently visit the SAO? Let us know about your experience!

SAO Feedback Form [web]

Course Planning & Selection

Verify your degree requirements (degree audit) according to your year of admission.

PDF icon Degree Audit 2023 (Coming Soon)
PDF icon Degree Audit (2022)
PDF icon Degree Audit 2021
PDF icon Degree Audit 2020
PDF icon Degree Audit 2019
PDF icon Degree Audit 2018
PDF icon Degree Audit 2016 and 2017

The brochures below also provide an at-a-glance overview of the BCL/JD (previously BCL/LLB) program requirements. Please select the one relating to your admission year:

PDF icon 2023-2024 (Coming Soon)
PDF icon 2022-2023
PDF icon 2021-2022
PDF icon 2020-2021
PDF icon 2019-2020
PDF icon 2018-2019
PDF icon 2017-2018

As a Comité des Equivalence student

Microsoft Office document icon Bar Equivalence - Course Selection

As a Transfer or Advanced Standing student

Microsoft Office document icon Transfer Student or Advanced Standing Student - Course Selection Form

As a Exchange or Visiting student

Microsoft Office document icon Exchange Students and Visiting Students - Course selection form

Become a Group Assistant.

File Group Assistant Application Form

Take a graduate level course as an undergraduate or graduate student. MINERVA course form [.pdf]

Take an outside course (Law or Non-Law), students can now apply via the Minerva Exchange/Study Away menu.

Processing time is normally 5 to 10 working days of submission.

If approved, student will be issued a Letter of Permission (downloadable from Minerva) and the student's McGill record will be updated to “Term Away” (summer term).

Change a course (add/drop) a course (only if Minerva cannot be used to add-drop).

Important: Be aware of the impact of a course withdrawal. See our note in the Registration Guide.

Course change form [web]

You are a non-Law McGill student who wants to take a course at the Faculty of Law.

File Non Law Student- Law Course Application Form

Examinations & Assignments

Extension Requests for Non-Exam Assessments (i.e. In-term or final assignments, etc.) Extension Request Form [web]
Report a conflict in your examination dates.

Exam Conflict Report Form [web]

Deferred examinations

*1L (Fall midterms) or LLM students only*

BCL/JD students must put the request through Minerva

*Deferral of a Final Examination Request Form [web]

S/U grading switch for deferred exams S/U grading for exams deferred to summer 2021 [web]
Exam viewing

Examination Viewing Request Form [web]

Exam viewing feedback survey [web]

Grade Review Request Grade Review Request Form [Microsoft Form]
Extension Requests for Non-Exam Assessments (i.e. In-term or final assignments, etc.) Extension Request Form [web]
Sign an exam confidentiality agreement.

File Exam Confidentiality Agreement

Majors and Minors

Apply for a Minor at McGill's Faculties of Arts or Science. PDF icon Application to enroll in a minor program (Law)
Apply for one of the two Major programs at McGill Law, which are offered in Commercial Negotiation, and in International Human Rights and Development. Microsoft Office document icon Application to enroll in a Major Concentration (Law programs)

Honours Program

Apply for the Law Faculty's Honours Program. Honours application form [.doc]
Complete Thesis Proposal and Literature Review Honours Thesis I (WRIT 450) Report [.doc]
Complete Thesis Research Report Honours Thesis II (WRIT 451) Report [.doc]
Complete Honours Thesis. Honours Thesis III (WRIT 452) Report [.doc]

Essay Forms

Use the Faculty of Law cover page for your written work.

File Standard Cover Page for Written Work (not anonymous)

File Standard Cover Page for Written Work (anonymous)

Apply to write a Term Essay (WRIT 491, 492, 493, 494, 495)

When deciding on the subject of your term essay, look at essay contests posted on this site and elsewhere.

A supervisor for a Term Essay MUST be a full-time Faculty member only. See their research areas.

Both the student and the supervisor must agree to meet to discuss the research and writing progress for a minimum of three separate dates before the final submission deadline.


Please note that there is a maximum of 3 Term Essays throughout the entire BCL/JD Program

Term Essay Authorization form [web].

Please make sure to have your outline, bibliography and table of contents ready in a single file to send to your supervisor when submitting your application.

Apply for a one-credit Writing and Drafting Project (WRIT 520) Open to Graduate Students only File WRIT 520 Writing and Drafting Project

Clerkships, Moots, Legal Clinic

Apply to student clerk at a court or administrative tribunal, or at one of the Montreal Courts. Student Clerkship
Apply to participate in a Moot Competition Competitive Mooting
Apply for the Legal Clinic Course.

PDF icon MLCC Booklet 2024/2025

Prizes and Scholarships

Nominate yourself or a fellow student for a prize or scholarship. Discretionary prizes online application form [web]
Apply for a post-graduate scholarship or travelling fellowship. (students will need to provide an updated CV with a projected budget, and get two respondents to email PDF letters of recommendation) Post-graduate scholarships online application form [web]
Apply for the Johnston Medal for outstanding contribution (graduating students). Students who graduate in the top 10% of their cohort are encouraged to submit this application form. Principal David Johnston Medal for Contribution online application form [web]

Exchanges and feedback

You are a McGill Law student who went out on exchange, and has some feedback to share.

Exchange Feedback: McGill Students going abroad [web]

You are a student from another university who came to McGill on exchange, and has some feedback to share.

Exchange Feedback: Students coming to McGill [web]

Attestation Letters

Request an attestation letter from the SAO. Attestation Letter Request Form [web]
Request an attestation letter for the LSO, QC and/or NY Bar exam. Bar Attestation Letters [web]


Book a room at the Faculty of Law. (For requests from members of the McGill Law Community)

Faculty of Law Room Bookings and Guidelines
Apply for after-hours access to McGill Law buildings.

After-hours access request form [.docx]

Back to top