TAKE NOTE: The content on this page is only relevant for undergraduate students in the Faculty of Education (B.A.(Education), B.Ed. and B.Sc. Kin). Undergraduate students in other Faculties and graduate students should contact their Faculty for the appropriate information.

Transfer Credits

Looking for an exemption from or course equivalency for your Field Experience/Internship?

Many newly admitted students enter the B.Ed. and MATL program with prior teaching experience. While such experience adds richness and depth to a student’s experience of their program of study, it is not considered grounds for exemption from any field experience. Exemptions from any field experience are not possible – no matter your past experience or degrees – and we cannot amend or make exceptions to this policy. The Comité d’agrément des programmes de formation à l’enseignement (CAPFE) opposes exemptions from any field experience required as part of a Quebec teacher preparation program. What's more, McGill's teacher certification programs are structured specifically with co-requisite field experiences and professional seminars, and both must be taken while at McGill, for each placement.


Advanced Standing from Previous Studies

All requests to have equivalencies reviewed or adjusted after your term of admission to the univeristy are subject to approval by the ISA Director; only requests due to extenuating circumstances or for adjustment of an administrative error will be considered.

Pre-Approval of Transfer Credits

Any coursework completed at another university MUST be pre-approved to be considered for transfer credit. After-the-fact requests for transfer credit without pre-approval will be refused.

Study Away and Quebec Inter-University Transfer Agreement (IUT) during your degree

To apply for Study Away or IUT, see instructions here. The points below describe the steps to take once your course is finished.

  • Students who take courses during an approved Study Away or the Quebec Inter-University Transfer Agreement (IUT) policy will have the transfer credits recorded upon receipt of the official transcript from the host institution.
  • Students studying at another Quebec University on an Inter-University Transfer Agreement (IUT) will have their grade(s) sent to McGill University automatically by the host university.
  • For universities outside of Quebec, it is the student's responsibility to ensure that an official transcript is sent from the host institution to the Student Affairs Office immediately after your studies are completed.
  • Courses must be passed with a grade of “C", or better, at the host university. Grades of C-, Pass (P) and Satisfactory (S) will not be accepted. The letter grades achieved at the host university will take precedence over the corresponding numerical grades if both are provided.
  • Courses cannot exceed the course weight assigned at the host university. If the equivalent course at McGill is more credits than the course at the host university, the number of credits granted by the host university will be transferred.
  • Course Load: For fall or winter term away, a maximum of 15 transfer credits is normally granted; for a full academic year away, a maximum of 30 transfer credits is normally granted; for a summer session, a maximum of 12 transfer credits is normally granted. However, the credits transferred may be less than the maxima stated.
  • Only the transfer credits and approved McGill course exemptions will appear on the McGill transcript. The grades achieved at the host university will not appear on the McGill transcript and will not be included in the McGill CGPA.
  • If your current academic standing is Unsatisfactory or Probationary, credits will only be transferred to your record once you return to Satisfactory.
  • Note: If you change your program or faculty within McGill, your transfer credit will be re-evaluated by your department and your faculty Student Affairs Office.

Please note, not all courses offered at other institutions may be eligible for transfer credit. Courses that are generally not accepted for transfer credit include: 

  • Continuing Studies courses 
  • Certificate/diploma program courses
  • Language courses offered by Language Centres (i.e. not associated with a degree program) 
  • Practicum (“how to”) courses (e.g. dance, fashion design, photography, web design, etc.)
  • Professional development/training courses 
  • Institution-specific orientation courses for exchange students
  • Volunteer program courses 



McGill University is on land which long served as a site of meeting and exchange amongst Indigenous peoples, including the Haudenosaunee and Anishinabeg nations. We acknowledge and thank the diverse Indigenous people whose footsteps have marked this territory on which peoples of the world now gather. Learn more.

Back to top