Minor Programs in Education

On this page:

Minor Options by Faculty:

Bachelor of Arts Students 

  • Administered by Internships & Student Affairs, application required
    Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) - Minor Concentration Education for Arts Students (18 Credits)
  • Administered by the Dept. of Educational & Counselling Psychology
    Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) - Minor Concentration Educational Psychology (18 Credits)

Bachelor of Science Students 

  • Administered by Internships & Student Affairs application required 
    Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) - Minor Education for Science Students (18 Credits)
  • Administered by the Dept. of Kinesiology & Physical Education application required 
    Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) - Minor Kinesiology (24 Credits)

B.Sc.(Kinesiology) Students - Entrepreneurship Minor

Before you apply for an Education Minor

Please note, the Education Minors do not lead to provincial teacher certification. Students seeking teacher certification should consider an inter-faculty transfer to the Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) program. Alternatively, they may consider applying to the M.A. Teaching & Learning (MATL) program in the future. For more information about the B.Ed. program, please visit the DISE website. For more information about the MATL program, contact the matl.education [at] mcgill.ca (MATL Program Coordinator).

Students who wish to apply for the Education Minor (with the exception of the Educational Psychology Minor), must prepare a study plan which will help them to self-assess whether or not they will be able to complete the required Minor courses before their expected graduation. Please note, it is not advised, nor is it generally possible to complete the Minor in a single academic year as most of the Minor courses are offered only once per year and seating is limited. This means that it is important to ensure that the timing of the course offerings will work with any of your regular program requirements, as well as any planned exchange/study away terms. If need be, consult with your Academic Advisor to map out your proposed degree progression. 

How to Apply

The following Minor programs require an application:


  • Students must be in Satisfactory academic standing (CGPA of at least 2.00)
  • Former B.Ed or B.Sc Kinesiology students who have transferred to another Faculty are exempt from the Minor application. Former B.A. Education in Global Contexts (excluding U0) students may be eligible for exemption from the application process. Please contact the isa.administrator [at] mcgill.ca (Education Minor Advisor) for permission to add the Minor.
  • Study Plan: Students who wish to apply for the Education Minor or Kinesiology Minor must download and complete a prospective study plan (See below), outlining how they intend to complete the courses required for the Minor and when.

Application Period

The application period is from June 1st to 30th each year.   

Application Procedure

1. Download and complete the Study Plan for the Minor to which you are applying

Education Minor applicants can download the File Education Minor Study Plan

Kinesiology Minor applicants can download the File Kinesiology Study Plan

Entrepreneurship Minor applicants (BSC-KIN) can download the File Entrepreneurship Minor Study Plan

2. Complete the online Application Form for the Minor to which you are applying. In the form, you will be asked to upload your completed Study Plan.

Education Minor Application Form

Kinesiology Minor Application Form

Entrepreneurship Minor (BSC-KIN) Application Form

Selection & Decision

  • Seats in the Minor are randomly assigned by lottery, however, the feasibility of the proposed plan of study will also be taken into consideration, as will any number of the following: credits completed to date, CGPA, expected graduation date. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application over the summer. 

Registration in Courses for the Minors

  • Returning Minor students should always register for their Minor courses as soon as registration opens as many course sections fill up quickly
  • New Education Minor students should generally attempt to complete EDPE 300 (required Minor course) in their first year of the Minor as it is a pre-requisite to some other Minor courses
  • Students in the Education Minor who wish to take either EDES 335 or EDES 353 as one of their Group B options should be aware that they have pre-requisites (18 credits in science or math courses, respectively)
  • When registering, students should check the 'NOTES' section in Minerva to ensure that they are selecting course sections reserved for Minors, where applicable
  • If you are having difficulty registering for your Minor courses, please contact the appropriate Advisor (see Above)  

Contact an Education Minor Advisor

Questions about fulfilling the requirements of the Minor or the completion of the Minor should be directed to the appropriate Minor Advisor:

Minor Concentration in Education for Arts Students
Minor in Education for Science Students
isa.administrator [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Education%20Minor) (ISA Administrator)

Minor in Educational Psychology
ecpundergrad.education [at] mcgill.ca (ECP )

Minor in Kinesiology
Minor in Entrepreneurship (for BSc-KIN students)

studentaffairs.kpe [at] mcgill.ca



McGill University is on land which long served as a site of meeting and exchange amongst Indigenous peoples, including the Haudenosaunee and Anishinabeg nations. We acknowledge and thank the diverse Indigenous people whose footsteps have marked this territory on which peoples of the world now gather. Learn more.

Back to top