Mark H. Sherman, MDCM, FRCPc, Diplomate American Board of Clinical Lipidology
Associate Professor, Department of Medicine
Tel: 514-934-1934 ext. 35090
mark.sherman [at] mcgill.ca
I graduated Medicine from McGill University in 1987, followed by Internal Medicine residency and Chief Medical Residency at the Jewish General Hospital (Montreal) and Endocrinology at McGill University. I did an apprenticeship in the Lipid Clinic at the Royal Victoria Hospital (MUHC) and have since 1993 been its director. I have been director of the Metabolic Day Centre at the MUHC since 2008, and was interim director of Endocrinology and Metabolism from 2012 through 2016. I am Royal College certified in Internal Medicine and Endocrinology, and National Lipid Association (NLA) certified as a diplomate of the American Board of Clinical Lipidology.
Dyslipidemia, diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, hypertriglyceridemia
Research or Clinical Activities
Most of my time is spent as a clinician. I see patients for all endocrine disorders; notably diabetes and thyroid disorders, but my major focus is in the MUHC Lipid Clinics, which I direct. Being a clinician allows me to see fascinating clinical cases. A substantial amount of my time also goes into clinical teaching in Lipid and Endocrinology clinics and the in-patient consultation service and at McGill University to first year medical students. I am currently involved as PI or co-PI in a number of clinical trials with lipid-lowering and anti-diabetic agents. I am also investigating some of the advanced lipid effects of bariatric surgery, and I collaborate with colleagues in Cardiology, Clinical Epidemiology, Pneumology and Hepatology on lipid and metabolic studies.
1. George O. Tsoukas, Claudia Blais, Roxanne Gagnon, Denis Hamel, Mark Sherman, Natasha Garfield, Vidal Essebag, Thao Huynh. The Impact of Pharmacotherapy on Long-Term Survival and Stroke after Hospitalization for Atrial Fibrillation. Journal Of The American College Of Cardiology 65(10):A390 · March 2015 - doi: 10.1016/S0735-1097(15)60390-4
2. George Tsoukas, Claudia Blais, Roxanne Gagnon, Denis Hamel, Mark Sherman, Natasha Garfield, Vidal Essebag, Thao Huynh. Risks Of Long-Term Mortality And Major Adverse Cardio-Vascular Events Associated With Diabetes Mellitus In Patients Hospitalized For Atrial Fibrillation. Journal Of The American College Of Cardiology 65(10):A319 · March 2015 - doi: 10.1016/S0735-1097(15)60319-9
3. Samantha Hajna; Yan Kestens; Stella S Daskalopoulou; Lawrence Joseph; Benoit Thierry; Mark Sherman; Luc Trudeau; Rémi Rabasa-Lhoret; Leslie Meissner; Simon L. Bacon; Lise Gauvin; Nancy A. Ross; Kaberi Dasgupta; Neighbourhood Walkability And Home Neighbourhood-Based Physical Activity: An Observational Study Of Adults With Type 2 Diabetes. BMC Public Health - BMC Public Health. 2016, 16:957 – doi:10.1186/s12889-016-3603-y
4. Dasgupta K, Rosenberg E, Joseph L, Trudeau L, Bacon SL, Chan D, Sherman M, Rabasa-Lhoret R, Daskalopoulou SS for the SMARTER trial group, Physician step prescription and monitoring to improve ARTERial health (SMARTER): a randomized controlled trial in type 2 diabetes and hypertension. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2017 Jan 11. doi: 10.1111/dom.12874. [Epub ahead of print]
5. Dasgupta K, Rosenberg E, Joseph L, Trudeau L, Garfield N, Chan D, Sherman M, Rabasa-Lhoret R, Daskalopoulou SS. Carotid femoral pulse wave velocity in type 2 diabetes and hypertension: capturing arterial health effects of step counts. J Hypertens. 2017 Jan 27. doi: 10.1097/HJH.0000000000001277. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28129250.