To be approved, a Work Study employer must:
- Be on the University campus, or in facilities owned, leased or rented by the University.
- Be flexible in order to accommodate students' academic schedules.
- Pay an hourly rate equivalent to or greater than the minimum wage under the current Collective Agreement.
- Not contravene any labour agreements.
- Have a Supervisor and a Payroll Person who will share responsibility for:
- Initiate the job posting for referrals
- Interviewing and hiring Work Study students.
- Providing supervised employment in accordance with a pre-determined job description.
- Ensuring that the student is placed on payroll and that bi-weekly payroll reports are submitted, covering the actual hours worked in a given pay period.
- Have an Affiliate McGill email account. For more information, please visit the McGill Information Technology Services Knowledge Base article - Affiliate Accounts - KB0011762.
Pay and working conditions
IMPORTANT: Work Study employees fall under the “McGill Casual Employee” job category. It is the responsibility of the employer to adhere to the appropriate Collective Agreement governing a McGill Casual Employee, especially regarding the minimum rates of pay.
Work term dates
2021–2022 academic year
|TERM||Number of weeks||start and end date per term|
|FALL -202109||Max. weeks 18||September 5, 2021, to January 8, 2022|
|WINTER - 202201||Max. weeks 16||January 9, 2022, to April 30, 2022|
|SUMMER - 202205||Max. weeks 18||May 1, 2022, to September 3, 2022|
All Work Study jobs must fall within these dates.
2022–2023 academic year
|TERM||Number of Weeks||Start and End date per Term|
|FALL - 202209||Max. weeks 18||September 4, 2022, to January 7, 2023*|
|WINTER - 202301||Max. weeks 16||January 8, 2023, to April 29, 2023*|
|SUMMER - 202305||Max. weeks 18||April 30, 2023, to September 2, 2023*|
Applying to Work Study
If you are new to the Work Study program and you meet these requirements, view the steps to submit an application. You can request your new Academic Year allocation for all your Work Study eligible positions combined. Affiliate employers who wish to participate in the Work Study program should refer to the Submit an Application section for the details.
For all questions regarding the Work Study Program, please contact the Work Study team.