Turn your classroom knowledge into valuable professional experience
What is an internship and why should I do one?
Would you like to "test drive" a job before you launch directly into a career? Would you like some help figuring out what it is you want to do after university? How about earning money to fund further education? You can do all of these with an internship!
An internship gives you the opportunity to gain professional and practical experience in your field of study prior to graduation. An internship is a paid, full-time work term done during your McGill undergraduate degree in a field related to your studies.
Add a practical element to your studies
An internship allows you to take your classroom knowledge and apply it to hands-on, real-life situations. Integrating theory with practice will help sharpen your professional skills and prepare you for your career.
Got the "What do I want to be blues?"
Making decisions about your career can be a difficult and often bewildering experience. By doing an internship, you will get a better sense of what it is you like to do and how you can shine as a professional, solidify your career goals and gain some valuable experience in the process.
Earn a healthy income - help pay your student loans/fees, and finance further education.
Enhance your degree
Participation in an Industrial Practicum (IP) or in an Internship Year in Science (IYS) will be noted on your transcript. For B.Sc. students only - if you complete two IPs or if you participate in an IYS, your program name on your transcript will change to include the Internship Program designation (e.g. Bachelor of Science - Biology - Internship Program).
Am I eligible to do an internship?
- You must be registered as a full time student (12 cr) before and after the IP or the IYS is completed.
- You must have completed at least 27 credits and have at least 12 credits remaining in your degree program.
- Your CGPA must be 2.7 or higher.
- You cannot be registered as a full-time student during your internship. Please consult with IFSO. You are advised to speak with your Academic Advisor to discuss the best time to complete an internship.
Is my internship eligible?
Your internship opportunity must meet all the requirements outlined below in order to qualify. Please consult with IFSO first before accepting the internship offer:
- Your internship opportunity must be in the industry and not in a university lab nor with a professor doing research. If the latter is the case, please visit the Undergraduate Research website for information.
- Your internship must be paid; no volunteering will be validated.
- You must be hired as full time and for a minimum of 12 weeks for FSCI 200 or FSCI 300, or a minimum of 8 months for the Internship Year in Science.
- This internship opportunity must be related to your current studies (major and/or minor).
- GIVEN THE CURRENT SITUATION WITH THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, ALL INTERNSHIPS MUST BE DONE REMOTELY AND DETAILS ON HOW THE INTERNSHIP WILL TAKE PLACE REMOTELY MUST BE INCLUDED IN THE OFFER LETTER FROM THE HOST ORGANISATION
How to apply
- Openings are posted on the CaPS website; students MUST apply as instructed on the job posting. For additional information on how to obtain an internship, visit the student resources page.
- Students are encouraged to attend career related workshops and consult how-to guides (CV writing, cover letter writing, interview techniques, cold calling) and meet with a career advisor.
- Once you secure an internship, you must complete the Science internship program registration form. Log in with your McGill username.
- Forward to our ifso.science [at] mcgill.ca (office) a copy of your accepted internship offer letter or email it for validation.
Deadlines to apply
|Fall 2020||September 15, 2020|
|Winter 2021||January 15, 2021|
|Summer 2021||May 05, 2021|
In order to successfully complete the Science Internship Program, you MUST submit the following evaluation/summary report web form.
Your employer must submit an employer evaluation form. This evaluation must be satisfactory. The form must be signed and sent directly to ifso.science [at] mcgill.ca (Internships & Field Studies Office).
Deadlines to submit evaluations and report
|If you do your internship in||Due date for evaluations and summary
|September 7, 2020|
|January 8, 2021|
|Winter 2021||May 7, 2021|
Industrial Practicum (description)
An Industrial Practicum (IP) is a zero credit, Pass/Fail course. The FSCI 200 (Industrial Practicum I) and FSCI 300 (Industrial Practicum II) will be added to your transcript and will become part of your program.
In order to obtain a PASS grade, you must:
- Work for the mandatory minimum period of 12 weeks;
- Obtain a satisfactory evaluation from your employer; and
- Submit an evaluation and a written report.
Your job can be turned into an IP. Certain employers request this in order to receive a government tax credit. Check with your employer.
There is no student fee and no course fee to apply for the IP.
Internship Year in Science (description)
An Internship Year in Science (IYS) is an academic program for Science students - it will be reflected on your transcript as "Internship Term - Science".
IYS internships begin in September, January or May and last for 8, 12 or 16 months.
Students on the IYS internship have their graduation date extended in order to complete their academic program.
You will be asked to answer a short questionnaire when you reach the mid-point of your internship.
At the end of the IYS internship, you will be required to obtain a satisfactory evaluation from your employer, and submit an evaluation and a written report of your own work experience.
There is no student fee and no course fee to apply for the IYS.
If you are a B.A.&Sc. students you may earn credit for some internships through the Faculty of Arts Internship Program. As a B.A.&Sc. you may qualify to enrol in the Industrial Practicum (IP) courses. Check your eligibility and the Industrial Practicum requirements. If you have any further questions visit the Internships & Field Studies Office.
For additional information on the IP or IYS
ifso.science [at] mcgill.ca (Internships & Field Studies Office)
McGill University, Faculty of Science
Burnside Hall room 720
805 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal Quebec H3A 0B9
ifso.science [at] mcgill.ca
8:00am to 4:00pm