Science Internship Program

Turn your classroom knowledge into valuable professional experience!

Would you like to "test drive" a job before you launch directly into a career? Would you like some help figuring out what it is you want to do after university? How about earning money to fund further education? You can do all of these with an internship!

Eligible students in the BSc, BA*, and BA & Sc* programs can apply to register their internship with us (*restrictions apply).

Industrial Practicum (IP) vs Internship Year in Science (IYS)

The Industrial Practicum (IP) is a zero credit, Pass/Fail course that is at least 12 weeks long (one semester). The FSCI 200 (Industrial Practicum I) and FSCI 300 (Industrial Practicum II) will be added to your transcript and will become part of your program.

The Internship Year in Science (IYS) is a program for Science (BSc) students only - it will be reflected on your transcript as Internship Term-Science. IYS internships begin in September, January or May and last for 8, 12 or 16 months. 

Perk!!! Successful completion of both FSCI 200 and FSCI 300 (Industrial Practicum I & II) courses or the Internship Year in Science (IYS) Program will allow BSc students to have the Internship Program designation on their transcript (e.g., Bachelor of Science - Biology - Internship Program). Students who register their internship outside the Summer semester (i.e., Fall and/or Winter) will have their graduation date extended in order to complete their academic program. It is recommended that you consult with your academic advisor or program coordinator to make sure your academic standing (e.g., graduation, course availability) allows you to participate in this internship.

PDF icon Science Internship Program Brochure





Industrial practicum (Ip)


(1 TERM)



Internship year in science (IYS)

8/12/16 months

(2/3/4 consecutive terms)


Internship designation

must complete

at least 2 terms


Fall / Winter / Summer

Fall / Winter / Summer



Summer only

Co-op Work Permit required

Fall / Winter / Summer

Co-op Work Permit required


BA & Sc - CDN

Fall / Winter / Summer



BA & Sc - INTL

Summer only

Co-op Work Permit required




Fall / Winter / Summer




Summer only

Co-op Work Permit required



*BA students majoring in Computer Science, Geography, Mathematics, Psychology, Environment, or Software Engineering only*

How do I apply?

  1. Check your eligibility. Read the eligibility criteria outlined in the FAQ below.
  2. Secure an internship. Make sure the internship meets our requirements before you sign the offer letter/contract (see FAQ below).
  3. Complete the Science Internship Program Registration Form. Log in with your McGill username.
  4. [at] (Email) a copy of your official offer letter. Screenshots will not be accepted. The offer letter must indicate the position, start and end date, salary, tasks/responsibilities and working hours.

Once your application has been approved, we will send you a confirmation email. Please note that the Industrial Practicum (IP) and Internship Year in Science (IYS) registration can only be done by our Office.

Are you an international student?

  • International Students are required to obtain a Coop Work Permit (CWP) to participate in internships throughout the academic year. You must have a valid CWP before commencing work. Once you have officially applied to our program following the above-mentioned steps and your application has been approved, our office will provide the letter you need for your CWP application. For more information on how to apply for a CWP and a Social Insurance Number (SIN), please consult with International Student Services (ISS).
  • Important! International students who are currently in Canada may apply for their CWP by travelling to a US/Canada land border (“flagpoling”). Students who choose to flagpole must do so during the flagpoling hours
  • ISS provides a cheat sheet for students. This resource can be used to determine students eligibility to work in Canada. 

Application Deadlines

Complete applications must be submitted two weeks before the internship starts. Retroactive registration will not be processed.

Fall 2024

September 4, 2024

Winter 2025

January 6, 2025

Summer 2024

April 26, 2024


Program Requirements

In order to successfully complete the IP/IYS, you must submit the Student Evaluation/Report Form. Your employer must submit their completed PDF icon Employer Evaluation Form to our office directly by [at] (email). The evaluation must be satisfactory. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that both documents are submitted by the deadline, otherwise, they will receive a failing mark. Only students registered in the IYS will also be asked to provide a short mid-term report.

Once you are registered in the IP/IYS, you will not be allowed to withdraw. You are responsible to complete all of the program’s requirements and maintain your eligibility even once the internship has been completed. Students who do not meet the eligibility and program requirements will receive a failing mark and may not be allowed to register in the IP/IYS in the future. If applicable, the Internship Program Designation will be removed as well.

All University-related activity outside of the Greater Montreal Area must be registered in the McGill Student Travel Registry a minimum of three weeks before departure. Students must download the app on their personal Android or iOS device to register.


If you COMPLETE your internship in

Due date for student & employer evaluations 


Summer 2024

August 16, 2024

Fall 2024

December 13, 2024

Winter 2024

April 19, 2024

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What is an internship and why should I do one?

An internship is a paid, full-time work term done during your McGill undergraduate degree in a field related to your studies. An internship allows you to take your classroom knowledge and apply it to hands-on, real-life situations. Integrating theory with practice will help sharpen your professional skills and prepare you for your career. Making decisions about your career can be a difficult and often bewildering experience. By completing an internship, you will get a better sense of what it is you like to do and how you can shine as a professional, solidify your career goals and gain valuable experience in the process. It also gives you the opportunity to earn a healthy income - help pay your student loans/fees, and finance further education. If you are unsure about your eligibility or the internship position, send us an [at] (email) with your full name and ID number and we will assist you.

***Our office will not be able to sign any tax credit forms for students who have not registered their internship with our office***


Am I eligible to do an internship?

  • You must be registered as a full-time undergraduate student (min. 12 credits) before and after the IP or the IYS is completed. For instance, if you would like to register for a four-month internship in Winter 2024, you must be full-time in Fall 2023 before the internship starts, and full-time in Fall 2024 after completing the internship;
  • You must have completed at least 27 credits at McGill and have at least 12 credits remaining in your degree program;
  • Your CGPA must be 2.70 or higher;
  • It is possible to register for one course (max. 4 credits) during the internship if you have a CGPA of 3.00 or higher. You and your employer will be required to complete our PDF icon Course Approval Form. The completed form must be submitted to our office before the start of the internship. You are also advised to speak with your Academic Advisor to discuss your program curriculum to make sure that you will remain full-time (min. 12 credits) the semester following your internship term. 
  • Must meet the Science internship program registration deadline dates; internships cannot be added or recognized retroactively.
  • Must be 4, 8, 12 or 16 months in duration (16-month internships can only commence in May)
  • You may miss a maximum of 2 academic terms



Is my internship eligible?

  • Your internship opportunity must be in the industry. Work in a university lab or with a professor doing research is not eligible. If the latter is the case, please visit the Undergraduate Research website for information.
  • Your internship must be paid (full-time salary); no volunteering will be validated.
  • You must be hired as full-time (minimum of 32 hours per week) and for a minimum of 12 full weeks for the Industrial Practicum (IP), or a minimum of 8 months for the Internship Year in Science (IYS).
  • This internship opportunity must be related to your current studies (major and/or minor).

As a BA or BA & Sc student - am I eligible?

BA students majoring in Computer Science, Geography, Mathematics, Psychology, Environment, or Software Engineering, as well as BA & Sc students can apply to register for the Industrial Practicum (IP) only. Eligible students can complete up to four IPs, however, they are not eligible to have the Internship Program Designation on their transcript after completing the internships.


The IP and IYS are zero credit. Once registered, you do not have a status indicated on your transcript (e.g., Full-Time, Part-Time). You will see the internship registration of FSCI 200/300 Industrial Practicum I/II or Internship Term-Science for the IYS. As a result, certain fees will not be charged. You can check with Student Accounts about the possibility to pay fees to receive services (e.g., SSMU, Athletics, etc.) and more importantly, ensure that you have health insurance coverage.

Can I be a full-time student while doing an internship?

Students with a CGPA of 3.00 or higher can register for one course (maximum 4 credits), but will have to obtain approval from their employer. Eligible students, and their employer, must complete the PDF icon Course Approval Form

Will the IP or IYS interfere with my studies?

It is ideal to do an internship in the Summer term so that it wouldn’t interfere with your studies, however, this is a personal choice. If you choose to do an internship that is 8 months long or during the Fall or Winter terms, we suggest you consult with your academic advisor/program coordinator to ensure that the internship will not have a negative impact on your academic status (e.g., delay your graduation, course availability).

How many times can I register my internship?

Eligible students can register up to 4 internships (16 months/4 semesters).

Can I register after my first year of studies?

You can apply to register after you have completed at least 27 credits at McGill. All grades must reflect on your transcript as we need to see your current CGPA.

I found out about the Internship Program after completing my internship. Can I still register?

Internships cannot be registered or recognized retroactively.


How do I find an internship?

Many internship opportunities are posted on McGill's Career Planning Service's (CaPS) website; you must apply as instructed on the job posting. CaPS has compiled a list of online job listing sites. Employers who post on these sites are actively looking to fill positions and you may find an opportunity that seems just right for you. You can apply through CaPS's myFuture portal or other job sites such as Linkedin and Indeed. We recommend you meet with a career advisor at CaPS should you need more help in your job search. We also encourage you to attend career-related workshops and consult how-to guides (e.g., CV writing, cover letter writing, interview techniques, cold calling). If you're interested in working in the Engineering, Computer Science and Physical Sciences fields, check out Engineering Career Centre's McGill Tech Fair. The Internship Offices Network (ION) also has a list of available internships.

What are the advantages of registering my internship?

Participation in an Industrial Practicum (IP) or in an Internship Year in Science (IYS) will be noted on your transcript. Moreover, many employers in Quebec specifically hire students whose internship can be registered with McGill for tax credit purposes. We will not sign tax credit documents for internships that were not registered with our Office. For B.Sc. students only - if you complete two IPs or an IYS, the program name on your transcript will change to include the Internship Program designation (e.g. Bachelor of Science - Biology - Internship Program).

I need a Convention de Stage for my internship abroad - can your office sign it?

The Déclaration relative à la participation d’un étudiant à une activité étudiante (Déclaration) has replaced the Convention de Stage and was created to assist students who want to do an internship abroad. Our Office only recognizes the Déclaration. No other form will be accepted and no modifications will be made to the Déclaration. Please refer to the Interning Abroad page for more details.

My internship does not meet the requirements/I am not eligible but I have secured an internship - what can I do?

If it is a summer internship and your employer does not require you to register the internship with us, you should be able to take on the internship like any other summer job. It is important to note however, that your employer will not be eligible to the tax credit document.

  • If you are an international student, it is always best to check with ISS if you have any questions about your immigration status.
  • If you are a BA or BA & Sc student, you may want to consider inquiring about the Arts Internship Program.

I am an employer. How do I recruit students?

Thank you for your interest in hiring McGill students. Please visit the Employer Resource page for more information.

Is there a law that protects interns?

Yes, as of summer 2022, interns will be protected by their own law. You can find more information in the documents below: 
PDF icon Law protecting internsPDF icon Law protecting interns (English)
PDF icon bill_14_-_protection_of_trainees_in_the_workplace.pdf

IFSO Services

Proof of Participation 

Should you need confirmation of your current participation or successful completion of the IP or IYS for your immigration document renewal or for your graduate school application, our Office can provide you with an electronic copy of this letter. Please send us an [at] (email) and allow us a few days to process your request.

I need to have some application forms signed by the University. Can IFSO do it?

The only official document we can sign for students interning abroad is the Déclaration relative à la participation d'un étudiant à une activité étudiante. The Déclaration cannot be modified. 

My employer is applying for the Student Work Placement Program (SWPP) subsidy. Can IFSO be the academic contact and sign the form?

Application for the Student Work Placement Program (SWPP) will only be signed and verified if the internship is registered with us (please reference the requirements mentioned above). For this request to be completed, you must also provide confirmation from your academic advisor of your expected graduation date.  Please make sure you provide all the requirements before sending your request. Please allow at least two weeks for processing.

Confirmation of Eligibility Letter for Employers

In accordance with Quebec Privacy Legislation, our office is required by law to protect students' confidential information, and may only provide assistance to parents or third parties in a limited context. We are unable to share information matters pertaining to enrolment status, grades, class schedule, personal information (including address/phone number) or other confidential applicant or student information, unless we have explicit permission from the student to do so. No personal information shall be disclosed by the University to a third party in a manner which permits the identification of the student or former student unless such disclosure is required by law, or unless the protection afforded by this section has been waived expressly or by implication by the student or former student who is entitled to it. If a potential employer requires confirmation that a student is eligible for IP/IYS prior to being hired, students should contact our office directly and request a formal letter of confirmation of eligibility to our program for a specific term.



Contact information [at] (Field Studies & Internship Office)
630- 2001 McGill College
Montreal Quebec H3A 1G1
**By Appointment only, please send an email to: [at]**


Silver badge icon, text on top reads: "Silver, McGill Sustainable Workplace"

Back to top