Associate Provost (Equity & Academic Policies), McGill University
Old Chancellor Day Hall
3644 Peel Street
Canada H3A 1W9
514-398-6694 or 514-398-1660 [Office]
angela.campbell [at] mcgill.ca (Email)
Angela Campbell is a full professor at McGill Faculty of Law. She researches and teaches in the areas of family law, health law, criminal law, successions law and feminist legal studies. Professor Campbell is also Associate Provost (Equity & Academic Policies) of McGill since 2015. Previously, she has served as Associate Dean of Graduate Studies in Law, as Director of the McGill Institute of Comparative Law, and a convener of the McGill Research Group on Health and Law. She has also been a visiting scholar at Australian National University College of Law and Emory University in 2013.
Prior to joining the Faculty of Law at McGill, Professor Campbell clerked for The Honourable Mr. Justice Frank Iacobucci at the Supreme Court of Canada, and taught at the University of Ottawa’s Faculty of Law (Common Law). She earned her B.A. (Hons), B.C.L. and LL.B. degrees from McGill University. She completed her LL.M. at Harvard Law School as a Frank Knox fellow and Langdon H. Gammon fellow.
Her research has been funded by the Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada, La Fondation du Barreau du Quebec, La Chambre des Notaires du Québec, and the Foundation for Legal Research. She is currently one of the researchers in the project Accès au Droit et à la Justice. Professor Campbell is co-directing Section 9 of the project which concentrates on access to justice for the youth. She is also the author of Sister Wives, Sex Workers and Surrogates: Outlaws by Choice? (Ashgate 2013).
Professor Campbell was awarded the John W. Durnford Teaching Excellence Award (2011) and Graduate Law Students’ Association’s Graduate Teaching Award (2015).
Professor Campbell is happy to supervise graduate and postdoctoral students working on topics germane to family law, criminal justice, the child and law, feminist theory, successions, women's health and reproductive rights, disability and legal pluralism.
- LLM (Harvard Law School) 1999-2000
- BCL/LLB, (McGill University) 1995-1999
- BA (Hons), (McGill University) 1992-1995
- Full Professor, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2017-
- Associate Provost (Equity & Academic Policies), Office of the Provost, McGill University, 2015-
- Associate Dean, Graduate Studies, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2013-2015
- Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2011-2017
- Director, McGill Institute of Comparative Law, 2008-2012
- Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2003-2011
- Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law (Common Law), University of Ottawa, 2002-2003
- Associate, Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP (2002)
- Law Clerk to the Hon. Justice Iacobucci, Supreme Court of Canada, 2000-2001
Areas of Interest
Family law, health law, criminal law, wills and estates, children and the law.