For more information about the Vanier CGS Competition please visit Vanier information for applicants.
- May 30, 2018 submit name and contact information of proposed nominees (if known) to graduatefunding.gps [at] mcgill.ca
- September 25, 2018 all recommended and non-recommended applicants are to be submitted on Fellowships Awards Database (FAD).
- September 25, 2018 all required documents for recommended applications are to be submitted to GPS Graduate Funding electronically at gradcomp.gps [at] mcgill.ca. Hard copies of transcripts and original nomination letter are to be delivered to the James Administration Building, room 400. Clearly name your file VANIER_CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC-AwardYear-Academic unit name-Applicant name, documents/packages "GPS Graduate Funding."
**Please note that incomplete, incorrect, and late applications are unacceptable and will not be forwarded to committee.
Academic Unit Quotas
Academic unit quotas are determined by doctoral enrolment numbers:
|Total doctoral enrolment||Quota|
|Less than 20||1|
|51 to 149||3|
|150 student and over||4|
Note: Additional applications from truly exceptional students may be permitted with justification and approval from the Dean of GPS.
CIHR is the only discipline that may add an extra 2 (two) to their quota.
Eligibility and Evaluation
Eligibility requirements as well as application/nomination instructions may be found at Vanier CGS.
Change #1: Combining the a) Description of Leadership and communication skills and b) Special Circumstances documents into a document entitled Personal Leadership Statement.
Change #2: Requesting an additional Leadership Reference letter.
Please see HERE for full details.
- Original transcripts (hard copies of recommended applicants only) in appropriately labelled LETTER SIZED folder
- NEW - ALL POST-SECONDARY (includes college and/or CEGEP)
- NEW - Foreign Transcripts
For students including foreign transcripts, the institution must include a standard table or record that outlines the institution’s understanding of the foreign transcript. Student explanations of grades will not be forwarded to the committee for evaluation . Please use tables provided on the Admissions Webpage.
- Scan of ALL original transcripts in .pdf format
- Signed Nomination Letter in .pdf format
Note: Student must submit all required documentation online and complete the application at ResearchNet by September 20, 2018. Units are free to set earlier deadlines to allow for internal review.
Presentation Standards for Attached Documents:
All attachments to applications must be prepared according to the standards provided. Applications submitted that are not prepared according to the instructions provided may be deemed ineligible.
When submitting supporting documents written in a language other than English or French, applicants are required to submit a certified translation of these documents.
Formatting Instructions to Prepare your Documents:
- Pages must be 8 ½" x 11" (216 mm x 279 mm).
- Insert a minimum margin of 2 cm (3/4 inch) around the page (top, bottom and sides).
- Use a font that will be easily readable by committee members: minimum font size of 10 Arial, or the equivalent.
- No condensed type or spacing (single- or double-spaced are acceptable).
- Any images, diagrams, technical drawings, or any other image must be contained within allowable page limits.
- For documents prepared by the applicant: At the top of each page, indicate your name and the title of the document as it appears in the instructions.
- For documents prepared by the institution: These must all be on institutional letterhead.
- For multi-page attachments, number the pages sequentially.
- Vanier CGS Competition Planner
- Pre-Scoring of Nominations Information
- Number of Months Completed in Program Calculator
- Vanier Fall 2018 Unit Reviewer's Checklist
- Fellowships Awards Database (FAD)
- McGill's Vanier information page for students
- Vanier nomination template letter
- Fall 2018 Vanier Workshop Presentation (coming soon)
Visit Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, the agency website for information on eligibility criteria, nomination process, and selection criteria.