The Tomlinson Doctoral Fellowships are GPS' most prestigious internal award. They are awarded annually to recruit top students into doctoral programs at McGill. Tomlinson Scholars usually go on to win other prestigious awards like Vaniers or CGSDs.
Value & Duration
- Up to $35,000 per year, renewable twice
- International students also receive a DFW
- Deadline for applicants to submit to unit - Set by the unit
- Deadline for units to submit to GPS - May 25, 2023
- Results Announced - July 2023
- Incoming student accepted to a doctoral degree program with a start date of Fall 2023. Students currently enrolled at McGill, or whose latest degree was completed or in progress at McGill, are ineligible. Former McGill students who later completed a graduate degree elsewhere may apply. Visiting students at McGill, who are completing the requirements for a degree from another university, may apply.
- Only applicants with a first class academic record. McGill considers a first class GPA to be 3.7 (or 3.5 in Law) in each of the last two (2) years of full-time study at the undergraduate and post-graduate level.
Nomination Process & Required Forms/Tools
Academic units may submit a maximum of 1 nomination. The nomination package must include:
- Unit Nomination Form
- Letter of endorsement by the GPD or Chair on a separate sheet, or completed on page 2 of the nomination form
- Candidate's application package (in the order presented in "Application Process and Required Documents" section)
- A copy of the admission letter
- A copy of the funding letter
Information on CGPA calculation and international grade conversion is available here.
The candidates information must be entered on FAD
Please merge and submit all the documents listed above to gradcomp.gps [at] mcgill.ca.
|Evaluation Criteria||Weight (%)|
|Research Ability or Potential (based on personal statement)||20|
|Nomination Letter from Department||10|
|Quality of the Chosen Environments (supervisor’s statement)||10|
Tomlinson Scholars who accept a fellowship from an agency external to McGill (federal or provincial) will be entitled to one-half the full value of the Tomlinson Fellowship up to a maximum of $50,000 total, per year.