Established in 2000 through a very generous gift from Dr. Richard H. Tomlinson, these fellowships are awarded annually by Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies to recruit outstanding students into Doctoral degree programs. Learn more about this extraordinary man here.
Please note that the Faculty of Medicine and the Integrated Program in Neuroscience hold a separate competition. Please visit their website for more information.
Value & Duration
Up to $35,000 per year, renewable twice.
- Deadline for candidates to submit to unit - Confirm with unit
- Deadline for units to submit to GPS - May 27, 2021
- Results Announced - July 05, 2021
- The Tomlinson Doctoral Fellowships are for incoming students accepted into a doctoral degree at McGill University* with a start date of Fall 2021. Students currently enrolled at McGill, or whose latest degree was completed or in progress at McGill, are ineligible. Former McGill students who later completed a graduate degree elsewhere may apply. Visiting students at McGill, who are completing the requirements for a degree from another university, may apply.
- Only applicants with a 1st class academic record. McGill considers a first-class GPA to be 3.7 (or 3.5 in Law) in each of the last two (2) years of full-time study at the undergraduate and post-graduate level.
*Faculty of Medicine and Integrated Program in Neuroscience (IPN) applicants please apply here (note different deadlines)
Applicants must submit their application and supporting documents to the academic unit where they intend to study.
Your application package must include:
- The Application Form
- Two letters of reference
- Provide letters from two external referees commenting on the applicant's academic/research accomplishments and potential. Referees to send the letters directly to the academic unit.
- Proposed supervisor's statement commenting on:
- how the applicant's proposed project integrates with the supervisor's research program;
- source(s) of funding available for the research program; and
- available resources, such as space, facilities, equipment, and access to required expertise.
- All official transcripts or certified copies from university level studies (graduate and undergraduate)
Academic unit may submit a maximum of 1 nomination. Your nomination package must include:
- Nomination Form
- Letter of endorsement by the GPD or Chair on a separate sheet, or completed on page 2 of the nomination form
- Candidate's application package (in the order presented in "Application Process and Required Documents" section)
- A copy of the offer of admission letter
Academic unit must enter a candidate's application on FAD and submit a single pdf file containing all documents listed above in order via email to GPS (gradcomp.gps [at] mcgill.ca)
|Evaluation Criteria||Weight (%)|
|Research Ability or Potential (based on personal statement)||20|
|Nomination Letter from Department||10|
|Quality of the Chosen Environments (supervisor’s statement)||10|
Note: Tomlinson Scholars who accept a fellowship from an agency external to McGill (federal or provincial) will be entitled to one-half the full value of the Tomlinson Fellowship up to a maximum of $50,000 total, per year.