GPS offers Graduate Excellence Recruitment Awards to Black applicants to our graduate degree programs. These awards are offered in support of McGill’s Action Plan to Address Anti-Black Racism by nomination of their unit, based on self-identification during the admissions process.
PhD – 10,000
Master’s (Thesis) – 5,000
Master’s (Non-thesis) – 2,500
This award is non-renewable and paid in installments over the first 12 months of study. The award is always provided in addition to core funding offered by a department, supervisor, or Faculty and cannot replace that funding.
- Fall 2023 admits: April 30, 2023
- Winter 2024 admits: November 24, 2023
To be offered a fellowship, an applicant must:
- Have received an offer of Admission from a graduate degree at McGill University;
- Self-identify as a Black student during the admissions process. They can do so in their statement, or by contacting their department directly.
- Intend to register full-time in a graduate degree program at McGill during their first year of study.
- Students registered in professional Master’s programs where students regularly work full-time and pursue their studies part-time may be eligible for this award. Contact graduatefunding.gps [at] mcgill.ca to confirm eligibility.
- Students in self-funded programs are not eligible.
The department must submit a nomination directly to Graduate Funding.