Which Meal Plan is right for you?

Choose a meal plan


Residential Mandatory Meal Plan

Are there any exemptions from the meal plan?

A: No you cannot opt out of the mandatory meal plan.

If I am assigned a room in residences after the beginning of the school semester, how much will I be charged for the Mandatory Residential Meal Plan?

A: In this case, your Food and Dining fees for the Mandatory Residential Meal Plan will be calculated on a weekly prorated basis, from the time you were assigned a room in residence.

A: No. Your meal plan is non-transferable and is for personal use only.

Will I be able to continue using my Residential Mandatory Meal Plan if I move out of my residence?

A: Yes, you can keep your meal plan and continue to use under the plan terms and conditions. See the Cancellation page for more information.

How do I ensure that I will not run out of money before the end of the semester?

A: Please see Managing your plan

How can we check our balance?

A: Your balance will appear on your bill, depending on where the funds came from. If you purchased a meal from a dining hall, you'll see the balance from your Home Base account. If you purchased a meal from an on-campus food location such as Vinh's Cafe, you'll see the balance from your Flex account. And if you purchased a chocolate bar at a dining hall (taxable item), you'll see the balance from your oneCard. If you're a resident student, you will also see your balances here.

What is the Rollover Plan?

A: After the Mandatory Meal Plan expires at the end of the Academic Year on April 30th, 2022, the funds get transferred to a Rollover Plan for the following year; these funds are taxable and expire at the end of the academic year on April 30th, 2023. A combined $50 minimum from both the home base and flex accounts applies. To benefit from the Rollover Plan, you must be a registered McGill student for the following academic year. The Rollover Plan is divided into two accounts: a home base rollover account and a flex rollover account.

Where can I use Rollover funds?

A: Your home base rollover dollars are applicable in the five residential dining halls. These are: Bishop Mountain Dining Hall, Carrefour Sherbrooke Dining Hall, Douglas Dining Hall, New Residence Dining Hall and Royal Victoria College Dining Hall and are non-refundable. The home base dollars are valid in the dining halls and the flex dollars are valid in the on-campus dining locations. Your flex dollars can be used at any of our on-campus dining locations such as Subway, Vinh's, Quesada, etc.

Is this plan tax free like the Mandatory Meal Plan?

A: No, this plan is taxable.


Voluntary Meal Plan

Where can I eat with the Saver Meal Plan?

A: You will have access to all the food locations on campus, including all 5 Residential Dining Halls. See the map for complete list.

What happens when my Saver Meal Plan expires at the end of the term?

A: Any unused dollars expire at the end of each term.

How can I add funds to my Saver Meal Plan?

A: If you run out of food dollars, you simply need to Top Up in Minerva, in the Student Accounts Menu. After you go to the Student Accounts Menu, scroll down to Meal Plans and then "Choose Top Up."



What is oneCard?

A: oneCard is a versatile account that can be added to students' McGill ID card; this account allows them to easily access multiple services on campus, without the hassle of carrying cash and debit/credit cards. Purchases made under this account are taxable at any food location on campus, vending machines, and other participating services on and off campus.

How do I purchase or top-up a oneCard?

A: If you are a downtown first year undergrad resident student, your oneCard account is already active with $500. This initial charge will be found on your student fees account in September.

If you are a first year student in residence on Macdonald campus, your oneCard account is already active with $150. This initial charge will be found on your student fees account in September.

For all students who want to purchase, or top-up a oneCard, there are three convenient options to choose from:

1- Through Minerva, the minimum buy-in is $200. This will be charged to your Student Fee Account. This is found on the Student menu > Student Accounts menu > Meal Plans Menu > Voluntary Meal Plans Menu > oneCard Account.

2- Through the secure oneCard Management Site, the minimum buy-in is $25. Payments can be made by either Visa or MasterCard.

3- For students in residences, when using the oneCard Loader Machine, located at Carrefour Sherbrooke (475 Sherbrooke Street West).

Where can I use oneCard?

A: Here is the list of locations where your oneCard can be used:

  • At the Residence Dining Halls (5)
  • At the McGill retail food locations where oneCard is accepted (21):  Second Cup, Subway, Stabucks, Dispatch, Vinh’s, etc.
  • Laundry services available. Please note: this service is exclusively reserved for students living in residences.
  • You can now have Double Pizza and St-Hubert Express delivered to your door and pay for it with your OneCard! However, please remember that when you pay for these pizza deliveries, funds come from your oneCard account and not from your Home Base/Flex accounts.
  • At our select oneCard locations. View the complete list here.
  • Purchase fresh fruits and vegetables at the Mac Market.
  • Please note: Your oneCard dollars will always be used and deducted from your account when you purchase certain categories of taxable food items even if you are enrolled in a tax-exempt meal plan, such as the Residential Mandatory Meal Plan or the Saver Meal Plan.

The taxable food categories include all bottled beverages, chips, ice cream and chocolate bars when purchased individually. If these taxable items are combined and purchased with any other food item (excluding the 4 listed taxable categories), then these become tax-free under the tax-exempt Residential Mandatory or Saver Meal Plans.

Laundry: (Residence students)

You will need your oneCard in order to operate the laundry machines in the Residence Halls. Here's how ...

  1. Simply tap the card in front of the designated area and follow the instructions. Prices per load are: Wash $2.00 and Dry $2.00.
  2. oneCard dollars may be added by going online
  3. Alternatively, students can pay cash using the oneCard Loader Master machine, located at Carrefour Sherbrooke (475 Sherbrooke Street West).

Who can get a oneCard account?

  • Students living in Residence on a Mandatory Meal Plan. In addition to your meal plan home-base and flex dollars, you automatically have $500 on your oneCard account that can be used in the residences laundry facilities, vending machines, and in the food locations on campus where the oneCard is honoured.
  • Students living in Solin and MORE Houses. You automatically have $500 on your oneCard to buy food from the 5 dining halls, campus cafés, vending machines, the residences laundry facilities, and in participating locations.
  • Students on a Saver Meal Plan. In addition to the $1300 tax exempt meal plan, you can also activate your oneCard account to use at select vending machines and in the food locations on campus where the oneCard is honoured.
  • Non Resident McGill Students. Non resident McGill students are free to purchase the oneCard account as well. oneCard will give them access to all the services mentioned above.
  • Returning Students on a Rollover Plan. In addition to your Rollover Plan, you can purchase a oneCard account by logging on to the oneCard Management Site

What's the difference between oneCard and the Residential Mandatory Meal Plan?

A: As a resident student, your oneCard can be used for laundry as well as all other taxable food and drink items in the residential dining halls and retail locations. The Mandatory Meal Plan includes tax-free Home Base dollars and tax-free Flex Dollars. That's why if you order Double Pizza delivery, for example, the funds will come out of your oneCard, as this is a taxable food item.

Can my parents add funds to oneCard?

A: Yes! With your McGill student ID number, your parents or anyone can top up your oneCard any time by logging on to the secure oneCard website. Payments can be made by either Visa or MasterCard credit cards.

Parents do not have access to other oneCard account information (balances, usage data, etc.)

What do I do if I lose oneCard?

A: You are responsible for all transactions made prior to the card being deactivated.

  • First, contact McGill security and inform them of your lost ID card.
  • Next, go to the oneCard website to deactivate your Meal Plan and your oneCard account.
  • To get a new ID card, go to Service Point during office hours. Your meal plan and oneCard plan funds will be transferred onto your new ID card and activated for use immediately.

Getting a Replacement Card

A: To get a new oneCard, go to Service Point during office hours.

You will need two government-issued photo identification cards, at least one with your photo is needed to get a replacement card.

A $25 fee (tax included) applies for all replacement cards and will be billed to your Student Fees Account. The funds left on your old oneCard will automatically be transferred to your new one.

Check oneCard balance

There are two options:

  1. Go to the secure oneCard Management Site, www.onecard.mcgill.ca
  2. See your printed receipt following a purchase.

Are oneCard dollars refundable?

A: Your oneCard account is active the entire time you are a McGill student. oneCard dollars are only refundable once you leave the university. To request a refund, simply email food.fds [at] mcgill.ca

Who do I contact for more information?

A: If you have questions about oneCard, drop by our Student Housing and Dining Service Centre or contact food.fds [at] mcgill.ca


Send us your comments via our Talk2Us feedback form.

Please note: oneCard cannot be used to purchase alcohol,cigarettes, lottery tickets, prepaid gift cards or used for cash back.


Health, Wellness & Social Responsibility

Is there a vegetarian option?

A: Yes. There are vegetarian and vegan food options offered in all our residential dining halls. For more information, please see our nutrition page.

I have a food allergy. What can the dining service do for me?

I need to watch my diet. What can the dining service do for me?

Who do I see if I have medical dietary restrictions?


Does McGill Food and Dining Services offer Fair Trade coffee?

A: Yes. Fair Trade coffee is offered in most locations across campus. To read more about McGill's commitment to sustainable and ethical food, please see our section on Sustainability.



Rules and Policies

Do students have to wear shirts and footwear in the dining units?

A: Yes, because of health department regulations.

Can I take food out of the cafeteria?

A: Yes, take-out containers are available for all foods. However, you must specify this when you order your food. Carrying china, dishware or cutlery outside of the dining halls is not permitted.

Is smoking permitted?

A: Smoking is not permitted in any of the university dining units or buildings. Please note that in Quebec, it is now the law that you are not permitted to smoke within a 9 meter radius (approx. 30 ft) of any entrance door of any building.

Are students responsible for bussing their own trays?

A: Yes. Please help us keep your dining facilities clean and tidy.

Are any animals allowed in the food court?

A: No, the only animals allowed are service dogs.

Is alcohol permitted in the dining areas?

A: No, alcoholic beverages cannot be brought into a university-dining unit nor can they be purchased as a meal plan choice.



Cancellation Policies

What happens to my Mandatory Meal Plan if I leave McGill?

A: Please see the Cancellations Page.

What happens to my Mandatory Meal Plan if I switch to either a residence without a Mandatory Meal Plan or move out of residence completely?

A: Please see the Cancellations Page.

What happens to my Mandatory Meal Plan if I move to another residence with a Mandatory Meal Plan?

A: Your Mandatory Residential Meal Plan will be transferred with you when you move to another residence associated with the Mandatory Residential Meal Plan.




How does Dining Services keep track of meal plans dollars?

A: Each student on the meal plan is assigned an account in our meal plan computer program. Your I.D. is encoded with your account number. For more information, please see the Meal Plans section of the site.

How do you decide how much to charge for food sold in the dining halls?

A: McGill Food and Dining Services is a self-financing unit with the mandate to break even at the end of the fiscal year. In addition, we are a mixed model, which means that we run self-operated units as well as units managed by a food provider and as well, some of our retail locations are run by tenants. In order to cover our expenses and to ensure that we are a sustainable unit, we operate much like a restaurant. Our price and cost structures are such that approximately 38% is allocated to food cost; other fixed and variable costs cover the balance.

Is there a printed menu to let me know what is being served on a particular day?

A: Yes! McGill Food and Dining Services will have menus available for your use at the cashier station in the cafeteria. Menus will be as accurate as possible; however, there may be occasional substitutions due to product availability. You can also view the daily menus online.

What can I do if I have an issue or concern with the services offered at a particular location?

A: We encourage you to let us know how we are doing! For matters that need immediate attention, please contact the dining room manager or supervisor.

For less urgent issues, there are postcards available in each of the dining facilities where you can write your comments. A reply will be provided within 3 business days. If you prefer to go on-line, please go to the feedback section of our Web site. McGill Food and Dining Services values your opinion and your suggestions are most welcomed.

Does the dining service hire students? How can I find out about a job?

A: Yes. The Dining Services as well as the different cafés on campus hire students each semester to work. You must have related work experience in order to be considered. To find out more information about available positions, ask any manager of the food facilities. Job possibilities include, cashier or checker, food production and service, dishwasher or general work and maintenance.





Back to top