- This plan is designed for those who intend to eat on campus on a regular basis.
- It can be purchased by any full or part-time student.
- Eat at over 20 food service locations on campus and any of the 5 residential dining halls.
- The amount to purchase this plan is $1300 per term
Fees & Payment
The amount to purchase this plan is $1300.
This plan is tax exempt, which translates to a savings of almost 15%.
You're only able to purchase a Saver Meal plan before October 1st of the Fall term and before February 1st of the Winter term.
As specified by Quebec sales tax laws, some snack items are exempt from the Saver Meal Plan. In addition, this Plan is subject to several terms as specified by the federal government in order to be tax exempt.
Payment will be due on your Student Fee account at the end of September for the Fall term and at the end of January for the Winter term.
How to Purchase:
Go directly to Minerva
Navigate to: Student menu
> Student Accounts menu
> Meal Plans Menu > Voluntary Meal Plans Menu > Saver Meal Plan
Managing your Plan
Checking your Balance
If you run out of food dollars, you simply need to Top Up in Minerva, in the Student Accounts Menu. After you go to the Student Accounts Menu, scroll down to Meal Plans, and then "Choose Top Up."
Some points to remember:
- The amount must be in whole dollars.
- The amount must be a minimum of $25 and cannot exceed $800 on any given day.
- The amount will be charged to your student fee account.
- It's important to note that any TOP UPS can be fully refunded at any time. Simply contact the food.fds [at] mcgill.ca (Food and Dining Service Center).
- After you make a deposit the funds will usually be available within 24 hours.
- These are additional funds which can be purchased in Minerva when food dollars have run out.
Top up dollars will be credited to the Meal Plan and charged to the student’s account. Top up dollars will be refunded upon request (in the following term only).
Money Matters - Staying within budget
To stay within budget while getting a balanced meal on the Saver Meal Plan, we recommend planning your meals around the hot meal of the day. The meal of the day is a complete and nutritious meal that's prepared daily.
Grill items, sushi, deluxe cakes and desserts are all items that can add up if eaten on a regular basis. Don't make these a part of your regular rotation unless you plan on topping up your Meal Plan during the semester.
Pay attention to your beverage choices. Bottled specialty drinks increase your total bill quickly. In fact, some of these drinks retail at almost half of the price of a full meal! Remember, water is available at every dining hall and it's free!
- Save 25 cents on coffee or tea every time you bring a reusable mug.
- Enjoy weekly $6 Meatless Monday dishes in 4 dining halls.
- Pick up a hearty $6 breakfast every Friday in all 5 dining halls.
- Hot entrees start at only $8.45 and include 2 sides (steamed vegetables and salad bar).
- The meal plan cost of $1300 is based on federal governmental rules and regulations for university student tax exempt meal plans. These stipulate that a meal plan must represent at least 10 meals per week, per semester (i.e. 13 weeks). The calculation is based on an average cost of $10 per meal.
- Top up dollars will be credited to the Meal Plan and charged to the student’s account. Top up dollars will be refunded upon request (in the following term only).
- In accordance with the Retail Sales Act, the voluntary tax-exempt Saver Meal Plan is term-specific and expires at the end of every term.
- Please note: you cannot purchase a Saver Meal Plan after February 1st (for the winter semester).
An AK hold is assigned to your record initially when you have unpaid meal plan charges overdue (i.e. you did not pay them by the due date) AND your overall balance is greater than $100.
Even if you pay your meal plan charges fully, you may still have an AK hold as it will not be deleted unless your overall balance is less than $100.
This hold prevents you from topping up your Meal Plan balance through Minerva or subscribing to a Voluntary Meal plan until your overall balance is less than $100.
Note that only charges that are past due are considered in the overall balance for the purpose of this calculation. Please contact the Student Accounts Office at (514) 398-7878 or via email at student.accounts [at] mcgill.ca for more information.