Eat on campus and pay no sales tax - a saving of almost $200
- The Saver Meal Plan is a declining balance meal plan linked to your McGill ID card.
- It is accepted in over 20 food service locations on campus as well as in all residential dining halls.
- This tax exempt meal plan is designed for students who intend to eat on campus on a regular basis, on average 10 meals per week.
- The Saver Meal Plan can be topped up in Minerva when funds run out.
- Any full-time or part-time student can purchase this plan.
- The Saver Meal Plan is a student tax exempt declining balance meal plan. This translates to a savings of almost 15%. Exceptions, such as soft drinks and confectionary items, do not apply as specified by Quebec sales tax laws
- The base amount to purchase this plan is $1300 per semester and may be purchased from September 1 to October 15, 2021 for the Fall semester.
- Exceptionally, due to the COVID-19 pandemic situation in the current academic year, the Voluntary Saver Meal Plan funds will be available to students until they graduate, after which unused funds cannot be refunded, rolled over or converted into OneCard dollars.
- The Voluntary Saver Meal Plan can be topped up at any time in Minerva. Additional funds must be a minimum of $25.00 and cannot exceed $800.00 on any given day. The top up funds will be automatically charged to your student fee account and will be activated within 2 business days following the request.
- Any top up dollars purchased on the Voluntary Saver Meal Plan can be fully refunded at any time to the student fee account following a written request to food.fds [at] mcgill.ca. Cash refunds will not be granted.
Purchase a Saver Meal plan in Minerva before October 15, 2021 for the Fall term and before February 1, 2022 for the Winter term .
In Minerva, navigate to Student menu > Student Accounts menu > Meal Plans Menu > Voluntary Meal Plans Menu > Saver Meal Plan
Your Saver Meal Plan balance is listed on the bottom of the receipt each time you make a purchase. You can also review all of your purchasing history on onecardmcgill.ca
To stay within budget while getting a balanced meal on the Saver Meal Plan, we recommend planning your meals around the hot meal of the day. The meal of the day is a complete and nutritious meal that's prepared daily.
Grill items, sushi, deluxe cakes and desserts are all items that can add up if eaten on a regular basis. Don't make these a part of your regular rotation unless you plan on topping up your Meal Plan during the semester.
Pay attention to your beverage choices. Bottled specialty drinks increase your total bill quickly. In fact, some of these drinks retail at almost half of the price of a full meal! Remember, water is available at every dining hall and it's free!
- Save 25 cents on coffee or tea every time you bring a reusable mug.
- Enjoy weekly $8 Meatless Monday dishes in 4 dining halls.
- Pick up a hearty $8 breakfast every Friday in 4 dining halls.
- Hot entrees start at only $9.49 and include 2 sides.
An AK hold is assigned to your record initially when you have unpaid meal plan charges overdue (i.e. you did not pay them by the due date) AND your overall balance is greater than $100.
Even if you pay your meal plan charges fully, you may still have an AK hold as it will not be deleted unless your overall balance is less than $100.
This hold prevents you from topping up your Meal Plan balance through Minerva or subscribing to a Voluntary Meal plan until your overall balance is less than $100.
Note that only charges that are past due are considered in the overall balance for the purpose of this calculation. Please contact the Student Accounts Office at (514) 398-7878 or via email at student.accounts [at] mcgill.ca for more information.