Graduate Studies at McGill's Faculty of Engineering
McGill's Faculty of Engineering offers a dynamic environment with an array of challenging opportunities for its graduate students in the following disciplines. For more information, including admission standards and how to apply, please visit the specific departmental website (links provided below).
- Graduate Programs: Professional and Post-Professional M.Arch., Ph.D.
- Accredited by the Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB), and recognized as accredited by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) in the USA
- Research Areas: History and Theory of Architecture, Cultural Mediations and Technology, Urban Design and Housing
- Additional Information: http://www.mcgill.ca/architecture/programs
- Graduate Programs: M.Eng., Ph.D. in Biological and Biomedical Engineering (joint program with the Faculty of Medicine)
- Research Areas: Cell Mechanics and Changes in Disease, Soft Matter Physics, Single Molecule Biophysics, Tissue Engineering, Mechanotransduction, Biological Microfluidics Devices, Dynamics and Control Systems in Biology, Nanomaterials in Medicine, Information Processing and Storage in Biological Systems, Vaccine Design and Production for Global Health Challenges, Computational Biology
- Additional Information: https://www.mcgill.ca/bbme/
- Graduate Programs: M. Eng. (Non-Thesis), M.Eng. (Thesis), Ph.D.
- Advanced graduate courses emphasizing important fundamentals, such as Heat and Mass Transfer, Fluid Mechanics, Computational Methods, and Thermodynamics
- Specialized courses in Bioengineering, Environmental Sciences, and Materials
- Research Areas: Advanced Materials, Polymers, Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Energy, Environmental Engineering, Plasma Science and Technology
- Additional Information: https://www.mcgill.ca/chemeng/grad
Civil Engineering & Applied Mechanics
- Graduate Programs: M. Eng. (Non-Thesis), M.Eng. (Non-Thesis) - Option in Environmental Engineering, M.Eng. (Thesis), M.Sc. (Thesis), Ph.D.
- Advanced courses of instruction and laboratory facilities
- Research Areas: Structural Engineering, Infrastructure Rehabilitation, Materials Engineering, Risk Engineering, Fluid Mechanics and Hydraulics, Water Resources Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Transportation Engineering
- Additional Information: http://www.mcgill.ca/civil/grad/
Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Graduate Programs: M.Eng. (Non-Thesis), M.Eng. (Thesis), Ph.D.
- Extensive research interests and facilities with more than 50 faculty members and 300 graduate students
- Research Areas: Bioelectrical Engineering, Telecommunications and Signal Processing, Systems and Control, Integrated Circuits and Systems, Nano-Electronic Devices and Materials, Photonics Systems, Computational Electromagnetics, Power Engineering, Intelligent Systems, Software Engineering
- Additional Information: https://www.mcgill.ca/ece/programs/graduate
- Graduate Programs: M.Eng. - Aerospace Engineering, M.Eng. (Non-Thesis), M.Eng. (Thesis), M.Sc. (Thesis), Ph.D.
- Master's in Aerospace Engineering program for bilingual students offered in conjuction with local partner univerisities and industry
- Research Areas: Aerodynamics, Aeroelasticity, Combustion, Fluids and Thermal Engineering, Mechanics of Materials and Structures, Dynamics and Control, Vibration and Structural Dynamics, Design and Manufacturing, Bioengineering
- Additional Information: https://www.mcgill.ca/mecheng/grad
Mining & Materials Engineering
- Graduate Programs: Graduate Diploma (Mining Engineering), M. Eng. (Non-Thesis), M.Eng. (Thesis), M.Sc. (Thesis), Ph.D.
- Research Areas: Geomechanics, Mining Environments, Strategic Mine Planning and Optimization, Stochastic Modelling, Operations Research, Mineral Economics, Materials Handling, Process Metallurgy, Computational Thermodynamics, Hydrometallurgy, Effluent and Waste Treatment, Mineral Processing, Metal Casting and CFD Modelling, Surface Engineering, Composites, Ceramics, Electron Microscopy, Automotive and Aerospace Materials, Biomaterials and Nanomaterials
- Additional Information (Materials): http://www.mcgill.ca/materials/graduate/prospective
- Additional Information (Mining): http://www.mcgill.ca/mining/graduate-students/prospective
- Graduate Programs: Master of Urban Planning (M.U.P.), M.U.P - Transportation Planning, Ph.D
- Accredited by the Ordre des urbanistes du Québec, and the Canadian Institute of Planners
- Founding member of Villes et développement
- A formal specialization in urban design is offered within the M.U.P. program. A feature of which allows students to complete a semester in Barbados as part of the Barbados Field Study program.
- Research Areas: Planning History and Theory, Metropolitan Development and Governance, Urban Design, Landscape Planning and Ecology, Housing and Urban Form, Environmental Policy and Planning, Sustainable Community Development, University-community Partnerships, Planning in Developing Countries, Land Use and Transportation Planning
- Additional Information: https://www.mcgill.ca/urbanplanning/