Quebec (CAQ) and Study Permits-International Students

Google Code for Remarketing Tag - Bloom

Depending on citizenship and the length of stay, international students will documents to study in Canada. If you are not a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident of Canada, you need to obtain permission to study at McGill from the government of Quebec and Canada, by applying for a Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ) and a Study Permit. You will need these permits to register for your courses.

Obtaining these documents might take some time, so inquire early about visa regulations and processing time at the Canadian Embassy or Consulate in your region. McGill does not issue any immigration documents. If you fail to show proof that you have obtained the appropriate study permits, you will not be able to register for courses.

Students Studying for Less Than 6 Months

If you fall into this category, you may require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) and/or a Visitor’s Visa from the Canadian Embassy or Consulate nearest you.

Important: A Visitor’s Visa or Visitor’s Stamp in your passport, in most cases, cannot be changed to a Study Permit within Canada.

If you begin your studies without a CAQ and Study Permit and decide to continue your studies, you must apply for a CAQ and Study Permit at least three months before the start of the following session.

Students Studying for More Than 6 Months

To obtain a CAQ and a Study Permit, you must first apply to a program of study and obtain a letter of admission covering a period of one year.

Both the Quebec and Canadian governments grant study permits to international students only when they are admitted to a recognized program on a full-time basis, i.e.: 12 credits per semester. Even though many of our programs are designed for part-time students, some may be taken full-time.

Contact Client Services prior to applying to verify that the program can be taken full-time.

Once accepted into a program, students receive an International Study Plan (only available for Career & Professional Development, Undergraduate and Graduate courses) which outlines the sequence of courses to complete a program within the time frame allotted by immigration. This study plan must be submitted when applying for the CAQ and Study Permit as proof that you will be studying full-time, along with your McGill acceptance letter.

Important: You will need your CAQ from Immigration Quebec to obtain a Study Permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada. You cannot apply for a Study Permit within Canada, but it can be renewed once you are in the country through the same office of issuance.

Once you have received your CAQ and Study Permit, bring the original copies to Client Services at the School of Continuing Studies so that your student file can be updated. It is your responsibility to ensure that your immigration documentation is in order before registering. No exceptions will be made for students who apply late for their CAQ and Study Permit.

Back to top