Google Code for Remarketing Tag - Bloom
The SCS Experiential Empowerment & Development (SEED) Initiative
With financial support from Scotiabank’s ScotiaRISE™ Community Investment Program, the McGill School of Continuing Studies has launched its SEED Initiative to help increase access to professional education and career advancement.
In collaboration with community partner organizations, up to 50 individuals will be selected each year as SEED Fellows to complete a Professional Development Certificate (PDC) in Collaboration and Productivity, improve their proficiency in French, and obtain a professional certification of their choice.
SEED Fellows benefit from:
- Free tuition
- Monthly allowance of $200 CAD for the duration of the required courses
- Support in finding paid internship and/or employment opportunities in their professional fields
- Networking events
- Mentorship opportunities
- Interpersonal skills training
Type: Part-time, Non-credit, Professional development Courses: 5 required courses, plus optional language and professional certification courses Continuing Education Units: 25
Winter/Fall 2024 Schedule:
December 2023 - October 2024
Fall 2024/Winter 2025 Schedule:
To be announced
Delivery: In-person, McGill Questions? seed.scs [at] mcgill.ca
Who Should Apply
- A newcomer to Canada seeking to integrate into the workforce
- An underemployed or unemployed professional
- A person facing economic barriers to professional education and career opportunities
- Develop or enhance in-demand professional skills
- Improve French language proficiency
- Gain practical experience
- Establish professional networks
- Clarify your career goals and create pathways to achieving them
Employment Readiness/Career Advising
December 2023 – February 2024, plus ongoing support for the duration of the program
January 4 – February 29, 2024 (Tuesdays and Thursdays 6 to 9 p.m.; Saturdays 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
Professional Development Certificate courses:
March 5 – October 1, 2024 (Tuesdays and Thursdays, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.)
Optional professional certification courses & exams:
Optional online Agile Project Management course:
Self-paced, can be done anytime within 12 months of January 4, 2024
To obtain the Professional Development Certificate in Collaboration and Productivity, SEED Fellows must complete five courses of 30 hours each:
YCBS 216 Interpersonal Skills for Professionals
YCBS 259 Systems Thinking and Modelling
YCBS 276 Innovation & Creativity for Entrepreneurs
YCCM 208 Professional Writing in Business
Innovation and Creativity Capstone Project
- French language courses will be provided for students who need to improve their French proficiency.
- YCOPD 003 – Agile Project Management: Practice & Certification
Optional Certification Prep Courses and Exams
- QuickBooks Online Fundamentals & Certification Prep course (in-person)
- MS Office Excel Associate Certification Prep course (in-person)
- Be 21 years of age or older to be admitted as a mature student
- A minimum of a DEC or a bachelor's degree, or equivalent professional work experience (3 to 4 years)
- Completion of a French language placement test provided by the School of Continuing Studies following submission of the Candidate Application Form*
- Proof of citizenship/residency status in Canada and Quebec
- All documentation requested in the Candidate Application Form
*Please note, priority will be given to those candidates who score a minimum of low-intermediate French proficiency level (e.g., equivalent to A2 on the CEFR scale, or level 3-4 of francisation).
How to Apply
The application period for the Winter 2024 session of the SEED Initiative is now closed.
The next session is scheduled to begin in Fall 2024.
News and Articles
Experiential learning, coaching and internships are part of a new professional development program at the School of Continuing Studies buoyed by a $2-million gift from Scotiabank. Dean Carola Weil elaborates on the inspiration and aspirations for the SEED Initiative.