Is It Right for You?
Deciding on whether grad school is right for you can be a difficult decision to make on your own. Before you go to your favorite advisor or family member for advice, think about answering these questions first:
- Why do I want to go to grad school? Is it for the right reasons?
- What are my career goals? Will grad school assist me in meeting these goals?
- What will I specialize in? What are my interests?
- Am I willing to work much harder than I did during my undergraduate degree?
- Do I have the motivation for another two to seven years of school?
- Can I afford grad school?
- Do I have the academic and personal qualities to succeed?
- Am I doing this because I don't know what else to do?
After thinking about your answers, use the resources you feel will help you make the appropriate decision. Whether that be by speaking with a professor, advisor, family member or friends, or by using sites like:
- Should you go to graduate school? (University Affairs)
Advice to students deciding if a master's or PhD is the right next step.
- Graduate Degree Resources (Quintessential Careers)
A collection of the best resources for helping you find the best graduate degree programs.
- Overview of Graduate School Programs & Degrees (Petersons.com)
Articles to help you learn more about your options - types of degrees, specific programs and more.
- Recommended Books (Available at CaPS)
The Next Steps
The process of applying to graduate studies or professional schools can be daunting, especially when you do not know where to start. CaPS offers many tools to assist you along the way, including our recommended podcasts.
- McGillCaPS - YouTube: How to Apply to Grad School
- DVDs (available at CaPS): Thinking About Grad School?, and Info Sessions - Your Application to Graduate School. Each session includes a seminar portion as well as testimonials from current grad students covering the following topics:
- Is Graduate School Right for You?
- Making your Graduate School Application
- Sneak Peek into Graduate School.
How to Choose a School or Program?
Please visit the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website for additional information on the grad school application process, including:
- Connecting with a supervisor
- How to choose between two schools
- Grad school funding
- Outlining your fellowship timeline
- Grad School Essential Guide