Whether you are writing a Personal Statement, Letter of Intent, Biographical Sketch, or other type of application for a graduate program, professional school, fellowship/scholarship/award, or employment opportunity, CaPS can assist you.
Before taking advantage of the resources below, we strongly recommend you write the first draft on your own, according to the specifications provided by the institution or organization. Your style of writing in the letter is a reflection of your character and personality, and you would not want that tainted by following a textbook format.
Once you have given your letter a first attempt (and there will be many to follow), take advantage of the following resources to ensure it is at its best upon submission.
To have your personal statements reviewed, please make an appointment: 514-398-3304.
Personal Statement Samples
- Writing the Personal Statement | Examples (Perdue Online Writing Lab)
- Sample personals statements, by subject (Studential.com)
- Personal Statement Books (available in the McGill Library)
Graduate School Research Statements
- McGill - Tips for writing a research proposal
- Graduate school applications: writing a research statement (Purdue OWL)
Graduate School Interviews
Consult the following websites for pre-selection interview questions and answers.
- University interviews: Top answers & insider tips (This book is available at CaPS)
- Grad school interview preparation and answers to questions (MastersDegree.net)
- Top 10 graduate school interview questions (GradSchools.com)