Ready to begin your graduate journey and join a distinguished community of over 10,000 graduate students?
Consult the minimum admission requirements below.
All applicants, regardless of country of origin or educational backgrounds must meet these minimum academic requirements:
- A Bachelor's degree (or equivalent as recognized by McGill University) in a subject closely related to the one selected for graduate work.
- Unless otherwise noted, the Master’s program at McGill requires the completion of a four-year degree in a related area at a recognized institution. Admission to a doctoral degree requires the completion of a Master’s degree in a related area at a recognized institution.
- The minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) is 3.0 out of a possible 4.0, or a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.2 out of 4.0 in the last two years of full-time studies. In some departments, however, a higher CGPA is required for admission. Consult your program requirements for details.
- Your educational credentials will be assessed for equivalency with a McGill University degree. Please consult the Degree Equivalency page for more information.
- Proficiency in English: The primary language of instruction at McGill is English. You may make arrangements to write papers, examinations or theses in French, except in cases where knowledge of the English language is one of the objectives of the course. Prior to admission, you may need to demonstrate an adequate level of proficiency in English. For more information, visit the English Language Proficiency page.
To read the complete graduate admission policies, please refer to our Programs, Courses and University Regulations guide.