Application process Independent Study Away

Independent Study Away are cancelled for Summer and Fall 2021

Independent Study Away

An independent study away is when a McGill student applies, registers, takes courses and pays tuition to an accredited degree granting institution and receives an official transcript of these studies from the same undergraduate degree granting school.

Application periods

Fall Term ONLY


Fall & Winter Term CANCELLED
Winter Term ONLY TBA


At the time of application:

Summer Term Application Have a minimum CGPA in the McGill BA, BSW or B.Th. degree of 2.0 and maintain this CGPA for study away eligibility.
Fall/Winter Term Application Have a minimum CGPA of 2.7 in the McGill BA, BSW or B.Th. degree and maintain this CGPA for study away eligibility
  1. Be currently registered as a full-time student in a McGill BA, BSW or B.Th. degree. (See course load)
  2. Have successfully completed a minimum of 12 graded McGill credits in the McGill BA, BSW or B.Th. degree. Courses taken under the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory option are not graded credits.

Keep in mind the degree requirements for the B.A degree when planning your Independent Study Away:

  1. You must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 60 credits at McGill University.
  2. A minimum of two-thirds of all program requirements (Multi-track, Honours, Faculty program) must be satisfactorily completed at McGill.

Important note: The Covid-19 pandemic has created countless health and safety concerns for higher-education institutions and their local governments. Consequently, McGill has cancelled the past three semesters of study abroad in accordance with the Canadian Government’s Level 3 travel advisory, indicating that all non-essential travel outside of Canada should be avoided until further notice. While we hope that the public health landscape and vaccination rollout here in Quebec and abroad will allow us to safely resume international exchanges for the Winter 2022 term, conditions vary widely across the world, from country to country. As such, independent study away may be cancelled by McGill and/or the host institution at any time. It is therefore recommended to plan serious financial commitments accordingly and carefully review all cancellation policies (e.g., travel, accommodation, insurance, etc.)

Application procedure

Step 1: Select a Host University

Before you select a host institution, read important information in “Plan and prepare” to ensure you meet the application criteria.

Select a university that is approved for transfer credit by Arts OASIS. If a university is not on the list, you cannot select it.

Step 2: Submit a MINERVA Study Away application form


  • On Minerva, navigate to: Student Menu > Student Records Menu > Exchange/Study Away Menu > Request for Study Away.
  • The application institution drop-down listing has hundreds of university but you must select only those on the “Approved” listings.
  • Write a brief “statement of purpose” and include your reasons for applying to study away.
  • Social Work students: you must first discuss your plans to take courses at another university with their Social Work program advisor.
  • Submit your completed Arts OASIS Degree Planning Worksheet concurrently with your Minerva application. This worksheet must be completed for your entire BA degree (including the courses you plan to register for at the host university). Using your McGill email, send a PDF version of the worksheet to studyaway.arts [at] with this format in the Subject line: Degree Planning Worksheet, [Family Name/First Name], [Student ID number]

Additionally for SUMMER ONLY:

  • You must also complete the Minerva Transfer Credit assessment form – which is linked to the Minerva Study Away application.
  • Submit your completed Arts OASIS Degree Planning Worksheet ONLY IF YOU ARE STUDYING AWAY IN YOUR FINAL YEAR (U3).

NOTE: If your application is not completed by the deadline given in your Minerva study away application (check the SAO comments in your Minerva application), your application will be refused.

Step 3: Apply to the Host Institution

  • Your registration at the host university must be “non-degree visiting student”
  • Your courses must be part of the host university’s undergraduate curriculum and taught by their faculty members.
  • You are responsible to:
    • Ensure the host university has an undergraduate “visiting, non-degree, or free-mover” student status
    • meet the host university’s application procedures and deadlines
    • pay their tuition and related fees
    • meet the host country’s visa requirement
  • WARNING - Affiliated partners and 3rd party organization:
  • Students may not enroll in courses at an affiliated partner university of the host institution.
  • Students will not receive transfer credit for studies arranged by or offered through study abroad organizations, third parties or intermediaries.
  • Student are not permitted to be concurrently registered as an undergraduate degree student at two different universities.

Good to know

The processing time for a complete application is normally 5 to 10 working days.

Once your application is “Faculty Approved”, you can download your “Letter of Permission (LOP) from the application.

  • This LOP is your official letter granting you McGill authorization to take courses at the specified host university during the specified term as a visiting student for the purpose of transferring course equivalences and credits toward your McGill degree.
  • This LOP may be required by the Host University’s Registrar's Office, Enrollment Services or International Study Abroad Office.
  • This LOP is provided in place of any forms that must be provided to the host school confirming your permission to study away.

Your Minerva record will be updated to non-resident “Term Away” status for the same McGill term(s) you will be away. Only for the fall and/or winter terms, this means that if you are already enrolled for courses at McGill during your study away term(s):

  • These McGill courses will be dropped.
  • You will not be able to register for McGill courses in that term(s).
  • Your McGill courses WILL NOT be re-instated if your plans change.

ONLINE COURSES: If you plan to take an online education course, please read the information under Transferring Credit, "Online Education Policy".

If you do not submit all the required information by the deadline you have been given, your application will be FACULTY REFUSED.

If you have a “HOLD” on your Minerva record, this may prevent the processing of your study away application. Contact Student Accounts (514-398-3900) or Service Point (514-398-7878) immediately to resolve any outstanding HOLDS.

Check your McGill email account regularly for important notices as this is our official means of communication during the application process and during your term away.











Back to top