Undergraduate Leaves of Absence
A leave-of-absence may be granted to undergraduate students for the following reasons:
- Maternity or parenting reasons
- Personal or family health reasons
- Professional development
- Required military service
A Leave of Absence must be requested on a term-by-term basis and may be granted for a period of up to 52 weeks. For complete details on the policy, consult the following website. The application for an Undergraduate leave of absence can be found here. You must also send your supporting documentation to the following email: assistant-adstudents.arts [at] mcgill.ca. The supporting documentation should attest to the reasons for the Leave of Absence ( i.e. medical note, a contract or letter regarding a professional development opportunity or other).
- A newly admitted student cannot request a leave of absence in their first term.
- A Leave of Absence may be granted to undergraduate students in satisfactory academic standing.
- The request needs to be made before the end of the withdrawal with refund deadline of the term you are requesting to be on leave.
- A Leave of Absence cannot be granted retro-actively.
- Student who have a hold on their record should clear the hold before applying for a Leave of Absence.
- Student who are granted a Leave of Absence will have access to course registration in the subsequent term and will not be required to apply for readmission. However, if they do not return in the subsequent term, they will need to apply for readmission to return to their studies.
- International students are advised to contact International Student Services about how the Leave of Absence may impact their student status.