Student Records

Student Records

Google Code for Remarketing Tag - Bloom

To ensure that the University’s student records are kept up to date, it is your responsibility to:

  • Ensure your contact information is current using Minerva. If you do not have Internet access, you may make the necessary changes by sending a signed request to Client Services.
  • Make sure that your record is accurate. For any changes to your student record that require verification of official documents (i.e.: change of name or citizenship, correction of date of birth, etc.), you will need to come in person.
  • Activate and check your McGill email account regularly, as this is the University’s official means of communication with students. If you forward the McGill email to another email account, ensure that the alternate account is valid and active.

NOTE: If your mailing address on file is invalid or incomplete, your mail from the University will be held until the address is updated.

Legal Name

You are registered at the University under your legal name. This is the name that will appear on your e-bills, tax receipts, degree, diploma or certificate upon graduation, and on your official transcript. It is also used by the Government of Quebec to create a Permanent Code.

For complete information regarding a student’s legal name, please see the University Regulations.

You should verify the accuracy of your name in the University’s records via Minerva. You cannot change the name on your record via Minerva, but you can make corrections related to formatting.

Access to Records

You retain full control over who has access to your records. Student verification forms, invoices, and all other correspondence are sent directly to you. In accordance with provincial legislation, personal information, including transcripts of academic records, may be released to relatives, sponsors, or any other parties only with your signed authorization.

Notwithstanding the above, the University will, upon request, release certain personal information to the following recipients unless you signify opposition on forms available at Service Point.

  • Student Associations recognized by McGill University
  • McGill Alumni Association
  • School(s) or college(s) which you attended
  • The appropriate authorities involved with the external or internal funding of fees
  • Professional bodies or corporations (e.g., engineers, dentists)
Back to top