Quick Links

Frequently asked questions

We have presented a few of the more frequently asked questions below to assist you.  Please take this time to review the information below.  

Application Categories & Québec Residency

How do I know if I am a recognized resident of Québec?

Submitting an Application & Application Systems

Can I request a paper application? / Can I submit an application by regular mail?

  • No, only on-line applications are accepted for Medicine.

What is a verfier?

  • A verifier is someone who confirms the information contained in your CV.

How much does an application cost? / What is the application fee?

I lost my password or cannot log into the Minerva system.  What should I do?

  • If you require a reset of your Minerva PIN, you must call (+1) 514-398-7878.

I submitted and paid for my application via the WebApp system yet did not receive confirmation or my McGill ID number. Why?

  • The WebApp system cycles at 9 p.m. for processing the applications of the day. All applications received after that time are processed in the next day.

Why can't I find your programs in the list of available programs in the WebApp?

Tracking an Application

How do I receive a McGill identification number?

  • Once you have successfully submitted the on-line application forms (including payment), you will receive a confirmation and a nine digit McGill identification number. You will need this McGill ID number to access the Minerva system and to track your application. Please include this ID number in all correspondence with our office.

How can I track the status of my application?

How can I make changes or cancel an application?

  • Any change or update to your application information must be submitted in writing to the Admissions Office. Changes in personal information such as addresses or phone numbers can only be done via the personal Minerva account. Details can be found in the PIN and Personal Updates section of the Minerva guide.An application can be cancelled via your Minerva account.

Academic Records & Test Scores

How do I upload my transcripts?

Do I need to submit my exchange or study-abroad transcripts?

  • Yes, as per the Academic Records page. The only exception would be if your host institution shows the credits and the grades of your study-abroad session on its own transcript.

How many copies of my transcript do you need?

  • Please upload one copy of each of your transcripts via your Minerva account.

Do I need to send you my McGill transcript? / Do I need to send you my CEGEP transcript?

Do I need to submit official A-Level results, IB exam results or AP exam results?

Should I self-report my MCAT test scores in my application (WebApp Tests Taken)?  How can I state I want you to use my MCAT scores?

  • Providing MCAT results in the TESTS TAKEN section is considered an indication that you would like for us to use your MCAT results as per the MCAT policy.  Please note, however, that we must receive the official MCAT results for your application to be considered complete.

I can see official MCAT results in my application via Minerva.  How can I remove them?

  • If it is the case where official MCAT results are attached to your application (seen via your Minerva account), please contact us via e-mail using the form below.

Academic History Workbook

What is the basis of admission degree

  • The basis of admission degree is a 120 credit (4-year) or equivalent Bachelor's degree from a recognised, accredited institution, in any discipline OR a 90-credit program from a Quebec university where the applicant obtained a diploma of college studies (Diplôme d'études collégiales; "DEC") in a pre-university program.

Do I need to enter graduate marks in the workbook?

  • Table 2 of the Workbook should be completed with your entire history of higher-learning (e.g. post-secondary, undergraduate, graduate, etc.). This includes advanced secondary programs such as APs from CollegeBoard, the International Baccalaureate from IBO, CEGEP programs, and the like. Table 3 does not need to contain graduate course history.

Some of my basic science prerequisite courses were taken at CEGEP. Do I need to list all CEGEP courses in the workbook?

  • No. Simply enter the relevant basic science prerequisite grades.

I see “value errors” in Table 3 of the workbook. What causes them?

  • Please refer to tables 1 and 2 to make sure you haven’t made any typing errors. Information must always be selected from the dropdown menu provided. Sometimes applicants override the dropdown menus by typing in information which cause a value error. For the date fields, you might have entered an invalid format. The format should be MM/YYYY i.e. 09/2013.  Sometimes the problem is a compatibility issue.  If this is the case, override the information and please enter it manually.

Why are the reports providing incorrect information?

  • The reports are there for reference only and are solely used for internal purposes.

Basic Science Prerequisites

What courses are required for admission?

  • Please see Basic Science Prerequistes. Please note that all basic science prerequisite course grades need to be submitted by the application deadline.

How can I know if the science courses I have taken at my university meet your requirements?

  • Basic science courses must be introductory (freshman-level) courses and must include a laboratory component. A verification of your institution's program requirements for each subject is often a good indicator of the introductory courses. You may also use the Math & Science Equivalence Table to see if your course has been evaluated to have a McGill equivalent.

Prospective International Students & Foreign Medical Students/Graduates

I am finishing my A-Levels (et al.) / my French Baccalaureate (Bacc Français, et al.) / my International Baccalaureate (IBO).  Can I apply to your medical school?

I am currently studying medicine in my country.  Can I transfer to your Faculty?

  • We do not accept transfer students.  Please consult the General Requirements section to know our conditions of admission.
  • Note: The Undergraduate Medical Education office offers medical electives for visiting students.  Please consult their website for details. 

I am an international medical graduate.  What are my options to study or practice medicine?

  • International medical graduates (IMGs) can review the information offered by the Medical Council of Canada here if they wish to further their studies or work in Canada.  If, as an IMG, you wish to redo your medical education to acquire an LCME-recognized medical degree, click here.

Do you have a pre-med program?

How much does it cost? / What are your tuition rates and compulsory fees?


E-mail Templates

Please use these templates provided to submit special requests or issues.

  • admissions [dot] med [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Request for MCAT removal)
  • admissions [dot] med [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Report a technical problem)

More Questions?


Want to know more about what it's like being a med student? Contact one of our student ambassadors.  For more information see Student Ambassadors.

Contact Us

Still need to contact us? Please send an email to aed [dot] med [at] mcgill [dot] ca

N.B. ► Le masculin est utilisé à titre d'épicène afin d'alléger le texte. 
Faute? Erreur? Avisez-nous au aed [dot] med [at] mcgill [dot] ca