M.Sc. (A.) Program Admission Requirements

The School of Social Work aims to ensure that social workers and couple and family therapists are as diverse as the communities with which we work. Qualified applicants from First Nations, Inuit, and Métis, people with disabilities, racialized people, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, gender non-conforming, and LGBTQ+ people and women are strongly encouraged to apply. We invite applicants to share self-identifying information to be considered as one factor within the larger holistic review of the many excellent applicants to our Master's of Science (Applied) in Couple and Family Therapy program.

Applicants seeking admission to the Master's of Science (Applied) in Couple and Family Therapy program must have:

A Bachelor's or Master's Degree

  • In a related human science or a helping profession background such as Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, or Nursing.   NOTE: **McGill MSW Graduates** Students who have completed the Master of Social Work (MSW) program at McGill, and successfully completed the exact five courses (SWRK 610, SWRK 622, SWRK 623, SWRK 630, and one approved complementary course), are entitled to have this coursework recognized for the M.Sc.(A.) in Couple and Family Therapy program. Consult the description of the MSW Advanced Standing courses.  

A minimum CGPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale

A minimum of 1700 hours of related human service experience with couples and/or families

  • This experience can be a combination of full-time and/or part-time experiences (paid, volunteer, field placement, or internship)

Admission Course Prerequisites 

One university-level course in each of the following areas (view course descriptions):

  • Human Development (full life-cycle)
  • Research Methods or Statistics
  • Psychopathology
  • Techniques in Interviewing/Counselling

Note: For McGill BSW students only.

English Proficiency


  • Provide three references (one academic and two professional references) from supervisors and, or employers who have directly witnessed the candidate's work within the field.

Clinical Skills Assessment

  • The Admissions Committee will invite selected applicants to participate in a Clinical Skills Assessment session. The format for this activity will be in a group setting and applicants will be evaluated by members of the Admissions Committee. The scheduled date is Friday, February 23, 2024.

Other Admissions Information

  • Admission is only for the Fall Semester.

  • The School of Social Work is not able to review an applicant's academic history in advance of an application. Applicants are asked to consult the website and use course descriptions, syllabi, and other materials to complete the required forms to the best of their abilities. Successful applicants who are offered admission will be advised of any conditions of acceptance, which may include fulfilling any pre-requisite course requirements prior to beginning the program.

  • McGill’s Indigenous Admissions Protocol encourages admissions decision-makers to take educational experiences that are unique to Indigenous applicants into consideration. Indigenous applicants can submit additional documentation that would be considered as part of their application to McGill. Prospective First Nations, Inuit, or Métis students should identify themselves as such when filling out their application. For more information, please visit the First People’s House website. Students can also contact the Indigenous Access McGill Program for support in applying.
  • Saviez-vous que McGill offre de nombreux services en français?

  • The language of instruction for most courses at McGill University is English. Students do have the option to submit writing in French. For more information, please refer to the McGill Language Policy.

  • International students must have the necessary Immigration Documents to study in Canada. Given the internship placement requirements in the MScA CFT program, international students must obtain a Co-Op/Internship Work Permit through the Canadian government, alongside their student visa. Students should also refer to the website for International Students at McGill.


Back to top