Special, Visiting, Exchange

Important references:

Incoming exchange students:

  • Before you arrive on campus, have your McGill courses approved by the appropriate office or advisor at your home institution. 
  • We recommend you get approval for 8-10 courses for each semester, in case the courses you desire are not available
  • Course outlines/syllabi are only provided  by the individual instructors of the courses in which you are enrolled. They will not be disseminated or made available to you prior to the first scheduled lecture.

Throughout the year

  • Faculty of Arts OASIS advising provides:
    • Help if you're having any difficulties during your time at McGill
    • Assistance regarding McGill academic policies
    • Referrals to necessary resources
    • Appointments should you need to meet with us virtually or in-person.
  • Academic departments are also available for department-specific advising and/or course permissions.

You will be receiving emails from Arts OASIS during your time at McGill. Make sure you read these emails carefully as they will contain important information!


What to do if problems arise

Occasionally students experience serious problems which affect their ability to complete their coursework on time. If you experience medical problems or other personal problems which prevent you from devoting sufficient time to your courses or exams, please see your course instructor and/or an OASIS Faculty advisor.

If the situation interferes with the submission of term papers, the writing of midterm tests, or other class work, consult with the course instructor. It may be possible to arrange for make-up tests or extensions of deadlines. The instructor will require supporting documentation in the form of a doctor's letter or other relevant documents.

If you are unable to write formal final exams, or feel that withdrawal from courses or the University after the normal deadline may be necessary, you should consult with a Faculty advisor at OASIS. If special arrangements are to be made, supporting documentation will be required.

More detailed information on Course and University Withdrawal is available here.

Back to top