Applying to McGill Summer Studies
We look forward to welcoming you on McGill's green campus this Summer. This is an excellent opportunity to experience Montreal during the best time of year, while taking courses from Canada's top medical-doctoral university (Maclean's).
Who is a Special Student?
1. Anyone who is not currently enrolled in a degree or diploma program at any university.
- A student wishing to register for undergraduate courses without being admitted to a program may register as a Special Student and take a limited number of individual courses, provided the student has the necessary academic prerequisites.
- Special Students can take regular undergraduate credit courses but are not recognized as working towards a certificate, graduate certificate or diploma. No certificates, graduate certificates or diplomas are issued for independent studies.
2. Students who have received either a conditional or final letter of acceptance to McGill, but have not yet confirmed acceptance.
- New McGill students: If you have already confirmed your final acceptance to a McGill undergraduate degree or diploma program, please go to Registration for McGill students.
3. McGill students who have a Winter graduation term on their record need to complete the form Authorization for Change of Program - Graduating Students.
- Example: You are registered for the Winter term and will complete your program and graduate at the end of the term in May.
To register for undergraduate summer courses, all Special Students must submit the Registration Package, which includes a Registration Form, Permanent Code Data form, and supporting legal documentation. For graduate courses, see the Registration Notes below.
All Special Students must submit the Registration Package and the Permanent Code Data forms, and provide supporting legal documentation. There is a $50 non-refundable processing fee, payable online when you upload your Registration Package. Note: when paying this fee in person at Service Point you can only pay with a debit card (cash and credit cards are not accepted).
Don't delay! Popular courses fill up quickly. Send your registration package as soon as possible.
Please note that the normal processing time for your summer registration documents is 3-5 business days.
- Special Students must complete the Registration Package in order to register for Summer courses.
- Provide, when applicable, proof of citizenship or Permanent Resident status and official attestation of residency in Quebec.
- More information regarding Legal Documents is available on the Legal Documents website.
- It is critical that you review the information posted on the Legal Documents website concerning which legal documents you are required to submit.
Submitting your Registration Package
For the Summer Registration Package, click here.
Please upload the completed forms and supporting documents (Service Point Checkout for Summer Registration opens on February 2, 2021).
Any forms that require a signature must be signed before being scanned. Only .pdf or .tiff files can be accepted.
After submitting your Registration Package
Once you have submitted your forms and legal documents, you will receive an email from Enrolment Services in approximately 3-5 business days indicating your McGill ID number and instructions on how to log into Minerva, McGill's online student interface, to register for your courses. Once you receive your email confirmation you will have to wait 24 hours before registering for your course. If your registration package is incomplete, Enrolment Services will email you indicating what is missing. If you wish to check the status of your registration package, you may contact McGill Service Point at 514-398-7878 or submit an online query.
- Graduate courses (600+ level courses): Students wishing to take a Graduate level course must register with the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office and submit an application via uapply.
- Dropping courses: Students are responsible for all courses in which they are registered unless they formally drop these courses using Minerva before the deadline date. It is not sufficient to notify the instructor or cease to attend lectures. Please see the section on Course Drop & Withdrawal for more information.
The last day to drop a course in the summer (with refund) is the 4th scheduled class.
The last day to withdraw from a course (with no refund) is the 9th scheduled class.
*Please note that these deadlines might differ for intensive courses. Please consult the course description for details.
- Restrictions: Registration restrictions for certain courses are listed in the Calendar—please note them before using Minerva.
- Minerva help: If you have any problems using the online McGill student interface, Minerva, please refer to the instructions in the Minerva for Students and Guests Article. If you are still having problems using Minerva, please contact the Minerva Help Line at 514-398-7878.
Students from outside Canada
International Students may refer to McGill's International Student Services (ISS) office for helpful information regarding immigration regulations and services available.
The International Student Services (ISS) office administers the University's Health Insurance Plan for International Students. International Students must ensure that they have adequate hospitalization and medical coverage during their stay at McGill. You may enroll in the University's International Student Health Plan for the summer term for which you are registered. The University and Immigration Québec require International Students to have proof of health insurance.
New: International students can view, save and print an electronic version of the IHI card on their mobile devices or computer.
For more information, please visit the ISS website.