Two programs, two campuses!
Take a look at our brochure for Outaouais here: outaouais_2020_medecine_depliant.pdf
For Campus Outaouais, the preparatory program is offered at l’Université du Québec en Outaouais (UQO) and the program is a partnership between McGill and l'Université du Québec en Outaouais (UQO) and offered at (UQO). McGill professors will teach the required science courses onsite at UQO’s Gatineau Campus, and the complementary and elective courses will be chosen from UQO’s course offerings. For Campus Outaouais the MDCM program is located in new and ultramodern facilities built on the site of the Gatineau Hospital in partnership with the CISSS de l'Outaouais. For fall 2020, 24 students will inaugurate McGill's MDCM Program at the new Campus Outaouais. The language of instruction for both programs is French.
For many years MDCM students studying in Montreal have had the option to complete a 3rd year Integrated Clerkship in Gatineau and experience this smaller, personalized environment; as well as benefit from a Family Medicine residency (specialization) program offered at the Unité de Médecine Familiale associated with the hospital. The new campus allows more students to benefit from this teaching experience, and learn the art and science of medicine as part of the Outaouais community.
At Campus Outaouais clinical placements are at francophone and bilingual sites.
For Montreal, the Medicine preparatory program and the MDCM program are offered at McGill’s downtown Montreal Campus, in a larger, metropolitan setting. The language of instruction for both programs is English. At the Montreal Campus, clinical placements are at bilingual or francophone sites.
Students at both campuses have access to the same electives and can apply to the residency program of their choice during the final year of the MDCM Program.
Candidates do not apply to a specific campus, but to the MDCM or Med-P programs. Interviewed candidates will submit their campus preference after the interview.
Upon completion of the admission interview, Med-P and MDCM applicants will receive a form to select where they prefer to study (Montreal Campus or Campus Outaouais). The Admissions Office will send successful applicants a letter with an offer of admission. In the letter, candidates will learn where they will complete their Med-P and MDCM studies. Successful applicants will receive an offer of admission which is valid only for the campus specified in the offer letter. The choice of campus cannot be modified during the Med-P year or the MDCM program.
Candidates will select only one of the four choices below.
If I receive an offer of admission for the Medicine-Preparatory or MDCM program, I would accept an offer to complete the program:
- At the Campus Outaouais only
- At the Montreal Campus only
- At either campus, with preference for Montreal
- At either campus, with preference for Outaouais
This form is the only opportunity to express a choice of campus. The form is binding, and cannot be changed at a later date during the admission process, during the Med-P year, or during the MDCM program. Admitted MDCM students are not permitted to transfer their registration between the two campuses. However, various elective opportunities on both campuses are available to all MDCM students.
Offers of admission are made based on the final rank order list, taking into consideration: a) the candidate's choice of campus and b) the available seats at the time of offer.
Candidates selected for admission will receive only one offer. For example, if you are placed on the waiting list and a seat becomes available in Outaouais, you will receive the offer if you selected the “Outaouais” or “Either” campus options on this form. For candidates who choose ''Either'' campus and receive an offer for their non-preferred campus, they can decline the offer, and will remain on the waitlist for their campus of preference (Montreal/Outaouais). They will be assigned to their campus of preference only if a position is available.
- Admissions selection criteria and curriculum for both sites are the same. We are proud to welcome candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply through an open, inclusive and bilingual system. All candidates who apply to our programs are assessed based on a standardized, rigorous selection process supported by current best practices and psychometrically valid tools.
- Admission to the Outaouais campus is limited to applicants with Quebec residency status. We welcome applicants from Outaouais, Montreal, and any other region of Quebec to express their interest in either campus!
- Applicants must be aware that courses are offered in French at the Outaouais campus, and in English at the Montreal campus. Clinical placements are at bilingual or francophone sites for both campuses. Communication is a key competency for physicians.
- Joint and special programs are not offered at the Outaouais campus (MD-PhD, MD-OMFS, IMG-2).