Liquids NMR: Varian Mercury 300 MHz NMR Spectrometer
Contact: nmr.chemistry [at] mcgill.ca (Robin Stein) - Location: OM34
1H, 19F, and 2D for high-throughput work; 13C for concentrated samples. Sometimes 31P (depending on probe installed).
Console: Varian Mercury (two-channel, z gradient)
- AutoSW (most commonly used): simultaneously tuned to 1H, 19F, and either 13C or 31P (most commonly tuned to 13C). Has z gradient, so good for 2D
- AutoNUC: simultaneously tuned to 1H, 19F, 31P, 13C. No gradient
100-position SMS sample changer
- No need to book in advance
- Sample changer is first-come, first-served
- 90 min usage permitted per sample during the day
- Longer experiments must run at night
- Teaching labs use the instrument during termtime, but otherwise, the instrument is usually free
- When the AutoSW probe is in and tuned to 13C, the HSQC is a good experiment – consider using it along with the basic 1H for simple characterization
- The sample changer can only use 8” tubes
- Pink NMR tube caps indicate that the tube belongs to the teaching lab – do not use pink NMR tube caps unless you are in an undergraduate lab!