Founding Director, Facility for Architectural Research in Media and Mediation
Emeritus Faculty Fellow in the Institute for the Public Life of Arts and Ideas
Michael Jemtrud is an Associate Professor of Architecture at McGill University and the former Director of the School of Architecture at McGill (2007-11). He is the Founding Director of two award-winning research labs: the Facility for Architectural Research in Media and Mediation (2007-current) and the Carleton Immersive Media Studio (2001-07, Ottawa). He is an affiliate member of the Milieux: Institute for Arts, Culture and Technology, Concordia University (Speculative Life cluster). His research and creative activity focuses on investigating the contemporary understanding of technology and culture relative to design practice from the computational and fabricative to the emergent and ecological. His work engages numerous public and private stakeholders and has been supported by various institutional and industry partners. Professor Jemtrud has been awarded over $20 million in sponsored research funding over the past 15 years of teaching and research (Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada; Mitacs; Canada Foundation for Innovation; Canadian Heritage; CANARIE; IBM; Autodesk; and others). Current and recent sponsored research projects include the Solar Decathlon China 2017 competition (2016-17); “Arts and Ideas in Motion: Parkour Project” (Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, Insight grant (2013-17); “Modeling the Methodologies of Our Time” (Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, Research-creation in the fine arts (2011-14); “Art and Ideas in Motion/MUSe: Partnership and Prototype Development” (SSHRC McGill Collaborative Research and Development Fund (2013-14); “Working Models Forum” (L’institut de recherche en histoire de l’architecture (2013-14). He has taught at the Aarhus School of Architecture (2014), Ryerson University (2013), University of Toronto (2012), Carleton University (2000-07), The Pennsylvania State University (1996-2000). He teaches courses and supervises graduate students in architectural and urban design, sustainable design, digital media, critical design strategies, contemporary & cultural theory, and the philosophy of technology. He holds a Passive House Tradesperson certification, is trained in BREEAM New Construction, and was a Research Associate at the Canadian Centre for Architecture (2012). Professor Jemtrud has given many international lectures, juries, reviews and has published broadly with regard to his research creation and scholarly activity. He has received awards for technology development, scholarly works, and creative work.
BA, BSc, BArch (Penn State)
ARCH 688 - Directed Research 1: Design/Build Workshop (3 credits)
ARCH 672 - Architectural Design 1 (6 credits)
ARCH 689 - Directed Research 2 : Design/Build Workshop (3 credits)
Summer 2017 (tentative)
ARCH 514 - Community Design Workshop (4 credits)
2016-17 Solar Decathlon China 2017
Title: Deep-Performance Dwelling
2016-17 Mitacs Accelerate Program
Title: Net-Zero Energy Strategy for a Montreal Large Development
2013-16 Grantor: SSHRC Insight (ongoing)
Title: Arts and Ideas in Motion Parkour Project
2013 Grantor: SSHRC McGill Collaborative Research and Development Fund
Title: Art and Ideas in Motion/MUSe: Partnership and Prototype Development
2012-13 Grantor: L’institut de recherche en histoire de l’architecture
Title: Fabricating Aesthetics
2011-13 Grantor: SSHRC Research Creation grant in the fine arts
Title: Modeling the methodologies of our time
Master of Architecture (professional) students
- Di Hua Wei, Literati Garden
- •Ben Wareing
- Brian Brush
- Ziad Ewais
- Philam Nguyen
- Media Architecture Summit 2016 (Toronto). Respondent/Moderator.
- The Arch. Ed. Podcast, Interview.
- Jemtrud, M. “Le Salon 1861 and Little Burgundy Narratives: Experiments in Urban Resiliency.” Digital-Cultural Ecology and the Medium-Sized City conference, Architecture_Media_Politics_Society. Arnolfini Centre for Contemporary Arts. Keynote lecture (Bristol, UK).
- Bristol Debates, Architecture_Media_Politics_Society, Digital-Cultural Ecology and the Medium-Sized City. Arnolfini Centre for Contemporary Arts. Invited panelist (Bristol, UK).
- Jemtrud, M. Chapter “MUSing Publics.” In: E. Clift, K. O’Brien, & G. Cairns (eds.) Imaging the City: Art, Creative Practices and Media Speculations. Intellect Books.
- Evidence to Policy Series, McGill University Institute for Health and Social Policy. “Civic Assets and Community Health: the Salon 1861 Initiative.” Presenter, panelist (Montreal).
- Jemtrud, M. & Ragsdale, K. “Citying in the Anthropocene.” Architecture_MPS, 8(2), 1-15. London: UCL Press.
- Jemtrud, M. “Resilience Redefined: Between City-Making and Citying.” Universities Art Association of Canada, Annual Conference. Design Critique in the Age of Environmentalism: The Plurality of Perspectives on Criticism session. Lecture (Halifax).
- Nature of Cities International Platform. Roundatable contributor.
- Learn X Design Conference, School of the Art Institute of Chicago. “Chindogu: Prototyping the Design Research Paradox.” Workshop presenter with Brian Brush, Anders Aagard, Lynn Kozak, Michael Longford, and Arianna Petrich (Chicago).
- L’urbain en cartes virtuelles Conference, Le Centre interuniversitaire d’études sur les lettres, les arts et les traditions (CÉLAT), Université du Québec à Montréal. “The Sensory Garden: Situated Interactive Interface and the Arts and Ideas in Motion Project”. Invited Lecturer (Montreal).
- Reimagining Resiliency in Urban Ecologies Working Symposium. Presenter and moderator (Montréal).
- Future Cities (25 years in the Future). Invited moderator (McGill University, Montréal).
- McConnell Foundation (Montréal) Cities For People Design Jam. Invited participant (Toronto).
- Canadian Green Building Council (Québec Chapter), Colloque - Urbanisme Durable et Villes de Demain. Invited presenter and panelist (Montreal).
- Charrette d’architecture et de design de Lac-Mégantic. Invited participant (Lac-Mégantic, QC).
- McGill Innovation Week, Enriching Student Experiences in the QI. Panelist (Montréal).
- Jemtrud, M (2014) “Messy Technics: multi-methodological research and the collaborative design project.” In: Architectural Design Research Symposium (Venice Biennale 2014).
- Jemtrud, M., Ragsdale, K.G. (2014) “Three Little Shacks: An inquiry in technics, tool-making, and invention.” In: N. Gu, S. Watanabe, H. Erhan, H. Haeusler, W. Huang (eds.), Rethinking Comprehensive Design: Speculative Counterculture, Proceedings of the 19th International Conference of the Association of Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia, Kyoto, Japan. Publication and lecture.
- Aarhus School of Architecture. “The Mediated City: Pay Attention While Walking.” Lecture.
- “Working Models Forum” Symposium (McGill University). International conference, organizer.
- “North is X Positive” exhibit. (McGill University). Exhibit.
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago. “Arts and Ideas in Motion.” Lecture.
- The Mediated City Conference, Architecture_Media_Politics_Society. “MUSing Publics: Arts and Ideas in Motion.” Plenary session lecture (London, UK)
- University of Brighton, Faculty of Arts - Architecture, Interior Architecture, Urban Studies. “Technics and Models: Three Little Shacks and a MUSe.” Invited Lecture (Brighton)
- Queen’s University of Belfast, Institute for Collaborative Research in the Humanities. “Arts and Ideas in Motion.” Invited Lecture (Belfast)
- International Conference on Adaptation and movement in Architecture (ICAMA2013). “Technics-Models-Praxis.” Keynote lecture and panelist (Toronto)